We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation and Attractions

Calgary, Canada
5 posts
Accommodation and Attractions

Hello fellow travellers,

My mother, sister, and I are heading out to Maui. We will be landing on October 11th and departing on 16th. We have never been to Maui before and would love to hear your thoughts on where we should stay and what we should do during our short stay.

Our budget for accommodation is approximately $200/night. We will be sharing a room. Is that reasonable for a nice hotel? I have not started my research and clueless on where to begin.

My mother is a senior and cannot go on a long hike or any physically demanding activities. We don't mind tourist area and we can rent a car if needed. We love beaches, snorkelling, shopping and great food! Personally, I would like to stay where all the actions are!

Thank you for all your help and advice in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
139 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Accommodation and Attractions

Dominique240: Those are all great questions for first trip to maui. I had the same questions while planning for our first trip (which happens in jan 2015). My sincere advice is to read the travel articles on TA and they will answer most if not all of your questions.

Then you can reach out to experts on this forum for more detailed questions. I am sure the forum will be happy to help you on those questions.

Snohomish...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,129 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Accommodation and Attractions

Check out the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Lots of fun, really Hawaiian stuff for you all, nice beach etc. You may have to up the budget a bit but they have nice units for 3 people and you will feel pampered by the staff.

Maui
Level Contributor
73,844 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Accommodation and Attractions

Well, your budget is low when one adds taxes and all in. Take a look at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, the Royal Lahaina, and the Maui Coast to get some prices and some ideas. Any of these three will be a good spot for your group.

You will need a car for the whole time on Maui. Shuttles are expensive and cabs are too.

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Accommodation and Attractions

Definitely rent a car -- it's hard to get around Maui without one. The public bus system doesn't allow luggage. The public bus also prioritizes those with a monthly pass (like commuters and students). Taxis are also expensive because the airport isn't really near the main tourist areas.

You can book a rental car easily yourself via DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com (click "Reserve Yourself”) aka DHCR. They are a middleman with the major agencies (Alamo, Avis, etc.) Re-check rental car rates periodically as they sometimes randomly drop. Do not pre-pay for your rental car, or pre-pay for gas. If you check frequently, you can may find a good deal, or at least see the price drop. You can always re-book and get the lower rate for free.

Costco also acts as a middleman for the big name agencies and may be cheaper than booking directly with them.

Rent your car EARLY and not at the last minute as Hawaii can and does run out of rental cars--it's difficult to just "ship" more cars in. Last minute car rentals can also be very expensive. There's no penalty to book early and then cancel later if you don't prepay.

Your credit card company may provide car insurance that is much less expensive than the rental agency’s. See what they offer before you get up-sold at the rental car counter.

For your lodging... Maui ain't cheap.

All accommodation on Maui is subject to a 13.42% tax (ouch) as well, which can REALLY eat into the budget. Is your budget before taxes and fees (like parking fees/resort fees)?

Are you thinking two of the three would share a bed? Are you set on a hotel or would you consider a vacation rental / condo? For example if you chose to book a 1BR condo, there would be a separate bedroom with a door and more space to spread out for the three of you.

Maui has tons and tons of condos in addition to hotels. Unless you're specifically sold on a hotel, I'd consider that as an option.

What amenities are you looking for? How nice a place to stay? Do you want to be on the beach or just near the ocean (perhaps on a rocky shore) is OK? Or does it not matter? Do you want a pool? Etc.

Also, if you want to save money in Hawaii, overall, stay at a place that is not right on a beach or right near a beach. Beachfront and oceanfront, with a view, will be more expensive than across the street from the beach with no view or a partial view.

5. Re: Accommodation and Attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 23, 2015