We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How much spending money?

We have the hotel/air/car booked and paid for. Our activities are also booked and paid for (OLL, Warren and Annabelle's etc.). We are very torn as to how much money we'll need for the week to spend on "stuff", including meals and souvenirs. We'll be there from Friday afternoon until Thursday evening.

Is there a good estimate for how much we'll need for the week? We won't eat at places like Mama's every night but staying in a hotel, we'll have to buy most meals. We're taking mostly cash (with a credit card for emergencies only).

I know that this is a broad question and will vary, but I'm just lookng for a range- HELP! I'm a habitual over-planner!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much spending money?

We spent about $1000 for our week there, which included, all our meals, drinks, shopping, snorlel gear and beach chair rentals, Feast at Lele, and a dinner boat cruise. We ate pretty light though, only really paying big for dinner.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much spending money?

We charged everything we possibly could and brought about $1000 cash with us. We still came home with several hundred. We stayed for 2 weeks and probably charged $4000 or more between shopping, food, spa activities etc.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much spending money?

personal opinion but i wouldnt head out with a wad of cash. if you lose it it's gone. Take a debit card. Or make a prepayment on your credit card. or buy an American Express cash card ... i think those can be replaced if you lose them. Then take a couple hundred bucks for places that require cash -- there aren't that many.

California
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How much spending money?

we used about $300 "cash" for tips and places that didn't take credit cards (farmer's market, a drink here and there, snacks) and charged the rest....too much charged I might add. this was for 8 days.

Nevada
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How much spending money?

We had everything booked before we left too and spent half of what we actually took. Which if you knew my husband is great. We ate out for dinner almost every night and did some shopping without holding back. We spent way less than 1000.

6. Re: How much spending money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 20, 2009