We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in January

NJ
Level Contributor
260 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in January

Hi all we’ll be staying in Kaanapali in January. What spots are good/safe in winter to snorkel?

Also is Molokini really that much better than what we can do from the shore?

Thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in January

In my opinion the snorkeling is not that good anymore at Molokini.

It is more about the boat ride, being at the crater, seeing Maui from the water and the

water visibility out there which is great

I think you get a better snorkel from a west Maui trip or just shore snorkel.

It has been over used so the marine life is way down and it gets crowded

With about 24 boats having their own mooring ball all in a line up against the shallow inside shore

Can't tell this far in advance for a good snorkel spot just depends on wind, waves and swells at the time.

General rule winter south and summer north but you know what they say about rules

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in January

We've been getting reports that Molokini isn't as good as even just a few years ago. I love going out there but you may not want to spend the money. You will see the same things snorkeling from shore that you would going out there.

In January the surf can be fickle. The best, most consistent ocean conditions will be found in south Maui during this time. That doesn't mean that you won't get some days that are good on the west/north side though. I happen to travel all over the island going to the place that has the best conditions that day. Whether it be in west Maui or south Maui.

Take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. Look under "Where do I Snorkel"? You can't see them on some mobile devices.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in January

FD what is kind of amazing is that there is this

"Blue Hole" right at the snorkel area populated mostly by black trigger fish.

Whereas the places we dive all around that area are just teeming with marine life, large schools of fish and a whole variety of big stuff as well, sharks, mants rays, eagle rays, giant travelle's, barracudas, eels

Octupi you name it. They are all doing well.

I think 7 day a week boat and human traffic are taking a toll.

Never see turtles too deep for them. Saw a hawksbill once and he looked lost

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in January

The west snorkeling such as Olowalu and Black Rock should be fine as well if the south is good for snorkeling. They are actually more protected from swells, but a strong south swell will affect those areas of the west. The majority of the time, Kahekili, which is north of Black Rock will be good also. That will be affected if the north swell is really large and wraps around. The northwest spots of Napili, Kapalua and Honolua are more apt to have north swells in the winter, but often they are good also if you watch. Two weeks last Christmas there were quite a few days it was fine as well as when I was there in March.

There are plenty of great snorkel spots from shore that I wouldn't bother with Molokini. I would consider going to Lanai for snorkeling if you want a trip. It is great over there and you will see different things over there.

Mentioned in this post
Black Rock
Black Rock
818 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,069 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in January

Do make sure you get out on a boat though. If you don't want to snorkel at Molokini, you can take a Trilogy trip. But do get out on a boat! Whale watch tours are quite reasonable, and aside from the whales, it is just beautiful to be out on a boat, looking back at the mountains on Maui!

NJ
Level Contributor
260 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in January

Thanks everyone for the input. we'll skip Molokini, maybe do a kayak snorkel. My husband really doesn't like boats, he get sea sick easy, but I love to snorkel and Molokini was must do.

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in January

I like the idea of the kayak snorkel trip. I loved the one we took that left from Makena Landing. Beautiful coral, turtles and fish out there. A kayak trip is a small group so having your guide in the water with you will be great to help you see the most sea life.

In January, though, do also go out on a whale watch. Your husband might like a raft tour if he is good with kayaks. Even if he doesn't want to go, go by yourself! It's so worth it!

Edited: 12:41 pm, August 17, 2014
8. Re: Snorkeling in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 19, 2015