We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Maui for a day - suggestions?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Maui for a day - suggestions?

We're a little bit crazy, but decided to visit Maui for a day while we're in Hawaii (staying on Oahu). We plan to rent a car and do some driving. We'll be there on Thursday, Sept 7th.

We're flying in at 6:30am and leaving at 8pm - what all can we pack into our day? Of course we want to do the road to Hana... do we have enough time?

We want to see as much as possible (no time for lounging on the beach). Maybe a short hike and definitely need food recommendations.

I'm looking into getting "Maui Reveled" (as I already have the Oahu version). Any other books you would recommend?

Thanks!!

Florida
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Maui for a day - suggestions?

The Maui Mile by Mile book has lots of information on the Road to Hana as well as other scenic drives.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Maui for a day - suggestions?

If you do the road to Hana, that is about all the time you will have. Since there is so much more to Maui than that, I would suggest you start out by visiting the Iao Valley, then west Maui up as far north as Kapalua then south Maui (Kihei and Wailea) and finally, on your way back to OGG stop by Kula in the upcountry. Doing this will give you a much better flavor of Maui than just he road to Hana.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Maui for a day - suggestions?

I would also suggest you not try the road to Hana. Unless you really rush it and then what's the point.

4. Re: Visiting Maui for a day - suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:39 am, August 17, 2009