We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going out after being on the Beach

Minnesota
Level Contributor
211 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Going out after being on the Beach

I feel kind of dumb for asking this question, but I have never been to Hawaii before.... How does one clean up after being on the beach for a few hours in preparation for going out to eat dinner if they can't get back to their accommodations?? For instance, if my wife and I are staying in Northern Maui and are spending some time on the southern Maui beaches and then want to have a nice lunch at 5 palms in Kehei.....how to we clean up the best? Is this a dumb question? My wife (and I) are concerned about being grimy from sun tan lotion, the beach, etc.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,749 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going out after being on the Beach

It's not dumb--you are just more brave than most to ask!

Several beach parks down Kihei way have showers. You will see folks do a 'suited' shower, as in try to clean out as much sand as one can, without getting undressed. Throw a pair of shorts and a t-shirt in the car, throw those on over the suit after a little towel off. You will look like all the other visitors :-)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going out after being on the Beach

There is shower right there coming off the beach. It is very casual and we have eaten there coming off the beach as long as you clean up a bit. Restrooms are for guests but they would probably give you the code if you are eating there

Minnesota
Level Contributor
211 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going out after being on the Beach

Lots of Beaches don't have showers though right? So I should do some research and only plan activities/places to eat after beaches with showers???

Edited: 9:54 pm, June 14, 2014
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going out after being on the Beach

You can always drive to a beach that has them. All the Kam beaches,Kihei boat Ramp, Ulua, Wailea, Polo Beaches, Makena Landing, Maluaka Beach has two, one on each side of the Makena Resort. When we are coming off the beach to go eat sometimes, I'll just use my cover up or shorts and top other times, I'll use the restroom by the shower heads to change into dry clothes. All the South Maui beaches I'v listed have county facilitates for shower heads and restrooms. If you are at the beach in front of 5 Palms you will just have the shower. As John said the restroom is for customers. The county does not provide facilities at this beach.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going out after being on the Beach

5 Palms is on the north end of Keawakapu Beach. If you follow the road along the shore south of 5 Palms, you find a public parking lot for the south end of Keawakapu Beach (a beautiful beach). The public entrance to the beach has a shower you can use to get off all the salt and sand, but maybe not all the sunscreen.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Keawakapu+Beach/@20.6965059,-156.4439384,279m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x7954dabf4257c69b:0x14a6f06099dedf48

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going out after being on the Beach

Coach! Put me in. As long as it's at RB I'm good.

Seriously not a dumb question and something most of us have wondered about at one time of another. That fact that you're asking about it to me says you will be fine. We ate at a top 20 restaurant in Seattle tonight and saw one guy in worn out court shoes and another in a BB cap.

There will likely be someone dressed worse than you no matter where you go. Good ideas about finding an outdoor shower to get the salt off.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going out after being on the Beach

If there is just a shower outside and an adjacent bathroom with no shower. This is what I do sometimes if I don't want to go out to eat in my bathing suit and cover up: I shower as best I can outside. I pack dry clothes and underwear in my backpack. I then go into the bathroom with a clean towel and change into my dry clothes and put my suit into a plastic bag. I have to stand on one foot to do this sometimes, and it can be a little gross in some of the bathrooms. If I am going to be out and about for a long time, I like it better than going all over the place in a salty sandy suit.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going out after being on the Beach

Of course, if you go to Little Beach in Makena State Park, clothing is optional so you wouldn't have to worry about a wet suit. :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,698 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going out after being on the Beach

Women have it rougher than men. I simply rinse off and then towel change into dress shorts and a Spooner.

If memory serves me, Kama'ole Beach Park I & III have small changing rooms.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going out after being on the Beach

I would hop up the road to Kam I which does have an indoor changing room/rest room. Can't recall if there is an indoor shower, but certainly there is one right outside the facility. Probably one at Kam III also as Scott suggests, but I like Kam I. Then back to Five Palms for a great lunch enjoying that lovely view. (One of my favorite spots for any meal...I had breakfast there earlier this month.)