We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

I am starting to plan a 7 day - 14 day trip to Maui and have just started researching accommodations and activities. We are a young couple who enjoy sightseeing, short hikes, and trying out different food. Our accommodation budget is $100-150/night. We are trying to keep our trip budget friendly so we'll probably end up doing hikes, paddle boarding, and snorkeling. Are there any other budget friendly activities?

I have heard the Lahaina, Honokowai, and Kihei are good places to stay. Are there any preferences between the 3 areas?

I have started looking into places to stay using this website:

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

and

rosiesrentals.com/rosies-rentals-homepage.php

Are there any other budget friendly options for accommodations?

I have heard that the way to save money on a trip to Hawaii is to make your own meals and stock up at Costco and the local Farmer's Market.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Costco
Costco
97 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,707 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

You need to start by determining how many nights you will be in Hawaii. You are concerned about your budget - which is very low ... but if you have fewer nights within the same overall budget - then it may work out.

Also if you do have more than 10 nights - you may want to see 2 Islands.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

You are on the right track. Yes, those areas are the "most budget friendly". Be careful with Costco, it can be a bit of over kill for just 2 people. Farmer's markets aren't always cheaper than a grocery store. The produce will be a bit fresher though.

Time of year you are planning on coming will play a part on which areas to recommend

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,892 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

I was going to ask you what time of year as well, as that makes a huge difference to the cost.

Also, Rosie's Rentals is for the Surfside, in the south end of Kihei. I have stayed there twice, but rented with "Rosie" just the once. There are other condos available there, if it doesn't work out with Rosie.

Lots of activities on Maui are free! Just enjoying the beaches, going on hikes, driving around Upcountry. The price of gas is way cheaper than what you are paying right now too.

Do let us know what time of year you are planning this trip, and then we can recommend some places in your budget.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Upcountry Bed and Breakfast
Upcountry Bed and...
144 Reviews
Maui, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

Yes what time of year you are coming will determine if you can get a place in your price range.

We stayed in Honokowai last year and loved the area we are staying there again next month in the same complex Nohonani it is slightly above your price range for a 1 bedroom in the off season paying $167 a night but that includes the cleaning fee. Take a look at the aerial view of it on the Hawaii Revealed site.

I do think you could find something in the off season closer to the higher end of your nightly budget in Honokowai at other complexes. You could look at the place next door to Nohonani its called Kulakane.

I don't have a Costco membership but feel like it would be a waste for just the two of us and love the produce at the Farmers markets might not be cheaper but as fishdiva says it is fresher IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kulakane
Kulakane
132 Reviews
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

Here are a few condos located in the South Kihei area that are in your budget.

http://www.vrbo.com/89172#photos

http://www.vrbo.com/174040#photos

http://www.vrbo.com/479184#location

http://www.vrbo.com/305826#reviews

Time of year is important in order to get the best price when you are on a budget ...Lower rates are usually during these months....... May/June and Sept. thru November.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

Here are a few condos located in the South Kihei area that are in your budget.

http://www.vrbo.com/89172#photos

http://www.vrbo.com/174040#photos

http://www.vrbo.com/479184#location

http://www.vrbo.com/305826#reviews

Time of year is important in order to get the best price when you are on a budget ...Lower rates are usually during these months....... May/June and Sept. thru November.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

sorry for the double post....I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

Please let us know when you are planning to travel (this is a big factor when it comes to price). Also, get a car rental booked as well, public transport on Maui is not that great!

Are you flying out of YVR? Again, depending on when you travel, it may work out cheaper for you if you package it all together.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,892 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

Bellingham may be an option as well. But again, it depends on when you are traveling. I wouldn't want to have to deal with the Peace Arch crossing line ups, and possibly miss a flight.

If you are a Costco member, check their website for a rental car. Otherwise, www.discounthawaiicarrental.com is a good option.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,497 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Maui - 7-14 days. Where to stay?

If you look at the hawaiirevealed site for Kihei, start with Maui Vista and work your way south to be walking distance to the good Kamaole Beach Parks. Or, look in North Kihei and Maalaea for less expensive condos, and plan to drive south to the nice beaches of South Kihei, Wailea and Makena. It is more convenient to do sightseeing from South Maui than it is from West Maui -- more central location and served by four-lane highway. You're twenty minutes from the airport too.

In West Maui, the Kahana area is also modestly priced, but you'll be using a two-lane connector road between Lahaina and Maalea every time you leave West Maui. Staying West Maui puts you nearer Lahaina town and pretty Napili and Kapalua.

With a two week stay, I think you could make use of Costco to save on many things, especially if your condo has a good size freezer. I buy freeze portions of bulk meats and bakery goods. Wine and spirits are usually well priced. And...there's always CHICKENS!

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui Vista Resort
Maui Vista Resort
332 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kamaole Beach Park I
Kamaole Beach Park I
275 Reviews
Maui, HI