We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

I would like feedback from anyone who has tried either helicopter tour and which one is the best tour to take??

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

Bump

Really need to book something soon.......

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

I personally chose Blue Hawaiian because of the tour route. We're taking the long 2hour tour. I think it's worth the money....we're not going til October so I can't tell you how it was yet.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

We did the West Maui tour with AlexAir last September and it was the best we've ever done. You get headphones with the ability to listen and talk to the pilot which made it great. It was only 30 minutes long I think. Another couple checked into it and decided which one to take and invited us to go along. I probably would have chosen a longer trip, which AlexAir offered. FYI...girls, you have to tell them how much you weigh when you book then when you get there, they actually weigh you. Nobody sees the scale, but one lady in our group was embarrased because she had told them a lower amount then was not able to go with us because they were already at capacity.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

Thanks kperea and bips for your advice! Blue Hawaii is a little bit priceier than AlexAir, but both seem good. I do have a 25% off coupon for AlexAir and we can do the Circle Island Tour which is 55 mins for only 176.00 with the discount. I think that's pretty good for a first time. I am leaning more towards AlexAir too because you have the headsets and can talk to each other and the pilot.

Bips, thanks for the heads up on the weight. HA! I will be sure and tell my friends that they better start working on that now if they are embarrassed to give their weight to someone else. LOL!

What type of clothes do we need for this tour? Does it get cool? I see where kperea suggested long pants and jacket.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

I wore a sleeveless tank and capris with sandals and that was just fine. It did not get cool at all, but remember I was there in September when it's fairly hot. Your welcome on the heads up. Unfortunately, women tend to shy away from this tour when they find out they have to give their weight. I wish they would just weigh you secretly when you check in and plan accordingly. The same thing happened a few years ago when some friends went with us to Alaska. We wanted to take a small float plane to a trout sanctuary to watch the bears fish but when some of the women found out they asked you for your weight, they backed out. We had some, shall I say, rotund guys with us. When they told their weight all the other guys teased them and everybody had a good laugh. Double standard, I guess.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

We will be going Sept. 10th so it should still be fairly hot as well. I am sure then shorts are fine. We can always bring pants and jacket in our backpacks in case we hike through a rainforest.

Thanks for the tips!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

We will be going Sept. 10th so it should still be fairly hot as well. I am sure then shorts are fine. We can always bring pants and jacket in our backpacks in case we hike through a rainforest.

By the way, what is the weight restriction?

Thanks for the tips!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

The weight limit is based on the size and type of helicopter you take. What happened in our case was as follows: People called in for a tour that morning, reporting each person's weight. When we arrived, AlexAir already had the helicopter gassed up and inspected and a pilot ready when we got their. When we actually weighed in, one woman in our group had under-reported her weight so much that they would have had to get a bigger helicopter ready for our tour. The other people (strangers) in our tour had another activity to go to so they were on a time schedule and couldn't wait so our person had to sit out the tour. She was mortified!! That's why I warn everybody about this situation.

9. Re: Blue Hawaiian or AlexAir Helicopter Tours??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, August 12, 2009