We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana

Sparwood, B.C.
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Topic
Road to Hana

Just how rough is the road to Hana? How long is the trip?

I noticed somewhere that it said 4 wheel drive vehicles are recommended. Is this necessary?

We will be renting a vehicle but I read somewhere that rentals are not to be taken off pavement. Is this part of the contract?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana

The road to Hana is not rough at all .............. just very narrow with lots of curves and corners. You can drive to Hana in a normal sedan very easily.

The road past Hana is very rough and most rental agreements state that you mustn't take your car past Hana.

Having said that we have driven a normal sedan past Hana without any problems .......... just don't expect any help from the rental companies if you take your rental car past Hana and it breaks down.

Allow a full day for the trip to Hana and back.

Cheers

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana

Go back to February 19th on the post. I asked this question and received all the answers I needed. The topic is "Road to Hana". It should help you out. Also there is a huge section on it in the "Maui Revealed" book. Do you have that?

You can get it on Amazon.com for around $11.00 plus few dollars shipping. It decribes the road to Hana in great depth.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana

No need for the 4x4. I've done it before with a 4x4 rental a few times, and it wasn't the great idea I thought it would be: more of a hassle getting the soft top up when it started raining. The best way to do the Road to Hana, and Maui in general really, is in a convertible.

Chicago
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana

This past January my wife and I drove to Hana in a convertible. It was fabulous. Against much advice (including my wife's) we drove the back end also. Yes it is very rough. I wouldn't worry about having a 4x4 so much as having good tires and a spare handy. Yes, I survived the trip FROM Hana. Do it.

Cranky,

crankyandtesty@hotmail.com

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana

We've done the road several times now, and only once in a 4x4. It's not necessary to have a 4x4, and the road has really been improved since our first trip in 1996. Now only a small segment is unpaved.

You will thoroughly enjoy the journey. The topography is incredible, and it'd be a shame to not experience it.