We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haiku/Paia with 11 and 9 yr olds - where to stay?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
203 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Haiku/Paia with 11 and 9 yr olds - where to stay?

Have our reservations for the West side for 8 days in May 2007, but thought 3 days in this area at the beginning of the trip could be fun. Perhaps go Halfway to Hana and to Haleakala. Younger one gets carsick , so this might be a good solution. Plus the idea of a Plantation type house could be cool.

Many of the accomodations seemed geared to honeymooners/couples. What do you think, experts?.

michigan
Level Contributor
215 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haiku/Paia with 11 and 9 yr olds - where to stay?

My family stays in Haiku whenever we go to Maui (which is 9 years in a row now....) It is beautiful, green, - very different from the other side of the island. Very tropical. We rent a house (I do not think there is much in the way of hotels there at all...). You would have to make sure the house rents for under a week stay. I would suggest Haiku over Paia myself- Paia is a nice to place to stop for lunch, but the crowd can get ....interesting, in the evening.

Keep in mind that Haiku is much wetter than west Maui. You will probably wake to showers each morning, but it clears beautifully by mid morning. We have rented houses where you can pick bananas off the trees in the yard, and the flowers are heavenly. You will have a chance to meet people who actually LIVE in Hawaii, (rather than just others there on vacation) There are tide pools near Mama's Fish house where the kids can look for fish (and even an occasional jellyfish)

Lots of houses available to rent there- will give you and the kids a whole different perspective on the island I think! Enjoy!

2. Re: Haiku/Paia with 11 and 9 yr olds - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 16, 2009