We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
95 posts
151 reviews
Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Hello,

I am planning a vacation in Hawaii. We'll stay 15 days in Maui and 5 or 6 days in Oahu.

I'm trying to create an itinerary for the 15 days in Maui: where should we stay? Is it possible to stay in just one place and move around by a rented car or should we change location after one week?

Our interests are snorkeling, beaches, not too much caos and beautiful scenery.

Thanks in advance!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,403 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Yes it is possible to stay in one area and tour the island, but know that if you do that, you will be spending more time in the car...some people hate being in the car, some don't mind. For that long of time, I would split up where you are staying so you can spend more time in the different areas and truly get to know them. It honestly is really hard to get a true feeling of an area without staying there. By just doing a quick visit or drive through, you won't see all that the area has to offer. All areas of the island have many different things to see and do,

What is your nightly budget? Condo or hotel? I would suggest you stay part of the time in the south...Wailea or Kihei and part in the west..Kaanapali up through Napili and Kapalua depending on what you are looking for. Do you like to be in the middle of things, or do you like to stay in quieter areas and drive to the busier areas for things?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
95 posts
151 reviews
2. Re: Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Thanks for the info! I would prefer a condo (we're on a budget). I was thinking about 150$ per night. Is it possible? I don't mind driving so it's not a problem for me. I would love a quiet place with some stores (e.g. a supermarket) and a couple of pubs to go out at night. We are quiet people, we would like to go out at night just for a drink or two. Our main goal is to visit the island and, above all, to snorkel.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,403 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

$150 a night is possible. Also depending on time of year...going at a holiday such as Christmas would be more expensive of course. For your budget I would look in Kihei for your condo in the south. For the west side, I would look at Kahana or Honokawai for the condo. A great sight for these west side properties besides VRBO is Chase'N Rainbows. http://www.westmauicondos.com

Snorkeling is great in many areas of Maui, but depending on time of year and swells, different areas are better. Some of my favorite snorkeling on the west side is at Kahekili and is usually good year round unless there is a wrap around swell from the north. Snorkeling is usually going to be just a short car ride away from anywhere you stay.

Definitely book a car...you will want it to get around and explore the areas and beaches. Try www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/…

Do not prepay...make reservation and keep checking back and change reservation as rates go down...they often will as your trip gets closer. They deal with all the major car rentals, but at a discount.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Always count your nights, not your days.

If I had 14 (or so) nights, I would change locations. You have the opportunity, so take it! Stay in South Maui for a week and West Maui for another. You'll have plenty of condo choices in either location.

You will need a car for the full trip, for rent at the airport and reserve it in advance.

Another thing you may consider is spending 10 nights on Maui in one location ... and adding the other nights to Oahu.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,332 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Travelbugged and blbl gave you great advice, as they always do. What time of year will you visit? It does make a big difference. If summer or early fall, and perhaps all year, you will want to stay somewhere with ac. Many condos in your price range won't have it so be sure to be aware of that.

Staying in one place will save you money unless you can get fees waived, such as cleanout, for a one week stay in each place. Then again, gas is expensive so you might end up ahead by switching and driving less.

I could be happy staying almost any part of Maui. When you find some possibilities, come back and post links to the units. People can help you find the one or two that are right for you. Happy planning!

Edited: 12:34 pm, December 15, 2013
r r
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
185 reviews
6. Re: Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Hi

What time of year?

We love the Maui Kaanapali Villas and the Kaanapali Alii.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,114 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Actually, the gas on Maui will be very inexpensive for you, at least compared to European prices. The gas is cheaper on Maui than where we live in Western Canada. It will be a treat for you to fill up the gas tank in Hawaii!

I like the idea of splitting your stay, one week west Maui, and one week south Maui. Most condo owners do not charge a cleaning fee if you stay a week or longer.

When you check out the vrbo website, you can input your dates, and how many bedrooms, whether you want oceanfront, and some other filters. Some even have a washer and dryer right in the unit. That helps a lot with the amount of clothes you would need to pack. And the kitchen is a huge bonus. You don't have to cook every night either. Make use of the "happy hour" specials and you can enjoy pupus (appetizers) for very reasonable cost. Share a few of them, and it can be enough for dinner.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,332 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Argh! Joan is right! Didn't notice you are from Rome. Have a fantastic trip!

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,332 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Joan, did you have the cleaning fee waived when you stayed in West Maui? I see that advertised more often in Kihei properties. Kapalua Villas is the only place in West Maui where I have noticed that perk for staying a week or more. I have even asked a few places if they would waive the fee for week stay and they told me no. It's one of the reasons we chose Kapalua Villas for March.

I'm curious if anyone knows which properties in West Maui charge cleaning fees only for stays of less than a week. It might help Holden83 especially if they are in his under $150/night range.

Edited: 3:10 pm, December 15, 2013
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
95 posts
151 reviews
10. Re: Help! 15 days in Maui: itinerary and where to stay

Thanks so much to all of you! I will read carefully all your suggestions and I will get back.

Dates are still flexible but should be late June 2014.