We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

So we are getting married on July 18 2014 and this trip would be for our honeymoons. So my DW to be and i will be going to Maui from July 20-28 2014 yes i know its early to post this forum and i am aware there are many like this but i am excited for this and would like ideas and input. We will be staying at the Aston Kaanapali Shores, Studio sweet we will not have a car and will have a shuttle take us from the airport to the hotel/condo. Currently we have booked on July 20 Warren and Anabelles dinner and magic show at 730pm, Drums Of The Luau on July 21 and Haleakala Sunrise Excursion on July 27 near the very end of our trip as so we are not overly exhausted if it where to be any earlier. (oh so early lol). Our on hand cash budget should be around $1000-2000

We would like to go snorkeling, scuba diving and would like to know who would be a good tour to go with, i was thinking about going with Trilogy for the guide but again not sure of the actual tour, i hear mixed reviews on molokini and would like input on this. Maybe River rafting. Any reviews on water activites are helpful.

The next part would be places to see such as the twin waterfalls again we do not have a car and would like to know is it easy access there is it better with a guide? Are there places that are a must see and must not be passed up if possible. As well as things to try either meals - desserts are there anything that are a must to go out of the way for.

this is our first trip to hawaii and would like to make the most of it.

Where are the best shopping places, for Souveniours, t-shirts, gifts, etc.

where would be good places to explore.

what are some Romantic things to do and see?. As mentioned i have the above 3 outings listed.

And the last part would be where are amazing places to eat, i love seafood DW to be does not. Would like to know good food places that have good varities for both who like seafood and ones who are picky on what they want.

Any other suggestions and ideas will be much appreciated

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,285 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

It sounds like you are making good progress with your plans. However, trying to plan as much as you want to do without a car is a challenge, so I will ask (as I know others will want to know too) - is it possible for you to rent a car? It will definitely make your vacation much easier and less expensive than taking shuttles, taxis and tours.

Re "snorkelling, scuba diving" - are you planning to do both at different times, or do one of you snorkel and the other dive?

Re restaurants - you might enjoy reading through the link under "Top Questions" at the right side of this page, "What are some of the best restaurants on Maui." Within walking distance of you, there is Duke's at Honau Kai. For a more romantic, upscale restaurant - Merriman's in Kapalua isn't too far (probably about a $15. taxi ride each way.) http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/kapalua/ (menus are shown on their website)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

the snorkel and diving will be different days. And at this moment i dont think driving is an option as the shuttle to and from airport to hotel and back to airport is already paid for (170.00) and dont want to concider that a loss. unless there are car rental places near by the hotel. we were going to shuttle alot as i heard there are all day passes for that.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

As Susan said...many people will question the car. It severely limits what you can do on Maui. This far ahead, you really can't cancel and get your shuttle money back?

That being said, people do come to Maui and don't rent cars, but are willing to sacrifice the freedom and being able to see everything they may want to. I would also figure out the bus schedule...it is very limited and to get to the places for your snorkeling etc. will have to be timed well. There is shopping at Whalers Village in Kaanapali....it would be a very long walk though. So bussing it or cab...but as said, cabs are expensive and will add up.

My other advice would be to change Haleakala to early in your trip. You are more likely to wake up early in the beginning of your trip and by the end you will not want to get up in the middle of the night to go.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

"We were going to shuttle a lot as I heard there are all day passes for that."

What sort of shuttle?? There is the bus but it isn't geared toward tourists so planning activities around it will be a problem.

You should definitely be able to cancel the shuttle at this point. Are you working with a travel agent? If so, and if s/he didn't advise you to get a car, s/he may not know much about Maui.

If you don't get a car, you will need to get your activities around companies who will pick you up and drop you off. There are probably many...it will just slightly limit your choices of activities, and will mean everything is with a group instead of on your own.

You can rent a car at the resort but if you changed your shuttle for a rental car, $170 would cover a lot if not all of a week's rental!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

i am looking at a car rental place near the hotel/ condo and they are asking 413 for 8 days. i can try to phone cheapflights and see if they can change that around for me it said clearly on my itenrary that it is non refundable

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

Go to discounthawaiicarrental.com. They work with all the major rental companies. Just get a small car, but DON'T prepay...the cost should continue to go down as you get closer to your trip and you can rebook the cheaper car and cancel the old reservation. It's a game we play.

You are staying in a really nice area...but not in the most convenient area to stay without a vehicle if you really want to get out and do things.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

…discounthawaiicarrental.com/ota/… This is a link to a rental car search I did for and economy car picked up in Kaanapali for July 21 to 28. As you can see you have a lot of options for much cheaper than 438 dollars. I'm not sure where the pick-up locations are as I've only rented from the airport. If you can get a car for just over 200 dollars it will more than pay for itself.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

I agree with the others definitely look at getting a car it will make doing and getting to the things you want to do much easier and much less expensive than paying for a bunch of tours which add up.

I used DHCR on our trip this past June started out with $322 for a midsize for 9 days ended up with $174 for the same. It pays to keep checking especially when you get closer to your trip except for certain times of the year like Xmas the rates do go down.

When you say Haleakala Sunrise are you doing the bike ride down also? That is not an activity that most of us would advocate as it is dangerous just sayin' :-)

The area you are staying at is great we stayed up the street from there in a condo this past June. There is a grocery store right across the street from where you are staying called Time's Supermarket it's in a little plaza with a few small eateries and a Snorkel Bob's where you can rent snorkeling gear for the week.

Also up the road a little is a great little farmers market at the Farmers market Deli Store across from Honokowai Beach Park on mon, wed, and fri from 7am-11am. They also have a lot of the same stuff in their store all the time but the farmers market prices are a little cheaper and it's outdoors.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

Diving Molokini vs snorkel is completely different experience. The dive sites are no where near the snorkel sites. The vis is anywhere from 100-200ft the dives are usually 50-100ft. You can see eels, manta rays, Baradudas and sharks

Last week they saw a 25ft whale shark at Molokini. 2nd dive is off south coast usually see rays, turtles and sharks.

One thing I noticed that was not mentioned in all the posts about your schedule is the limitation on Haleakala and diving. Since you can't go above 1000ft for 24 hours you will probably need a day between scuba and a trip up to the crater. You'll be out of the water probably at around 11am so if you went the next day it would have to be in the afternoon and morning is best before the clouds come in

If you can fit it in I would take a dedicated dive boat rather than a snorkel boat that does both. The snorkel boats don't go to the real dive sites. The best scuba diving on Maui is drift diving. The dive boat drops the group off and follows the group and picks you up at the end of the dive. Snorkel boats can't do that. You generally scuba in the same area as the snorkels

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Would like to know what else to see, eat, and do in Maui

Also the dive boats that go to Molokini go out of the Kihei boat ramp in south Maui which is about 45 minutes from where you are staying. Good news is you meet the boat between 6-6:30am so there is no traffic.

Other option is to dive Lanai. Dive boats go out of Lahaina. Different diving more geological formations, lava tubes and Cathedrals One and Two. A longer boat ride and they leave around 7am so you are back around noon. I would do the diving early in the trip so you can deal with the altitude restrictions of Haleakala and flying home more easily