We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

We are going to visit Maui in couple of weeks for 10 days. I was wondering if I shall carry cash from mainland-US, or i can count on banks or ATM in Maui. I have accounts with BoA, chase and WellsFargo - but none of them have any branch there :-(

So, usually what to visitors do about cash in general in Maui? Does anyone know free (fee-less) ATM there?

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

I just consider an atm fee to be a very tiny part of my vacation expense. Cheaper than a lost or stolen wallet with large amounts of cash.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,989 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

You want to have some cash along for the trip anyway. Handy for tips, and food trucks, the odd smaller place that doesn't take credit cards.

Check with your bank for affiliate banks, so you don't get "dinged" for withdrawal fees.

ATMs are convenient pretty much everywhere on the island.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

We bring several hundred dollars in cash (we split it between the two of us so that neither of us is carrying more than approx. $300.) That and credit cards can get us through 2+ weeks, and we usually end up bringing some of the cash home.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,100 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

We take small amounts of cash for tips and small items. We use our debit cards and get cash back from Safeway or Long's with our purchases if we need it. Easy Peasy

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

After paying many high ATM fees, I learned to bring some cash with me, 1 credit card & my debit card. When I need more cash, I just go to Bank of Hawaii (for me, it's usually the one in Lahaina) and use my check card to get a cash advance. They've never charged me a fee in all the years I've been doing this. Maybe another example of the Spirit of Aloha!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

I agree. Take a few hundred with you - if you need more you can a) retrieve from a local ATM or b) do cash back on purchases.

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

Thanks all for your suggestions!!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

We have very little affiliation to any mainland banks. I have never seen a free ATM.

So expect to pay ATM fees.

There are still some people who give a discount for cash and travelers checks.

I would bring at least two credit cards.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

A few trips ago we set up an account with Bank of Hawaii and got an ATM with them. We deposit money into the account periodically, we just use the ATM card on our trip, works great.

Alberta
Level Contributor
437 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM / Bank / Cash in Maui

I am confused why would you need more than one credit card? Is paying with your debit card different in Hawaii than in the continental US? I haven't carried cash for years. Except in Mexico where there are few debit machines.