We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin watch tour?

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin watch tour?

We are visiting Maui during 3rd week of november...around a month later!!! What tour / tour company would you suggest for Dolphin watch? (I know, we are too early for whale watch ;-) We are not experienced swimmers, but can we still try snorkeling? Again, what tour would you suggest?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin watch tour?

You might be lucky and see the spinner dolphins right from shore. Or if you take a snorkel trip to Lanai, some people get to see them there as well.

You can take lessons for snorkeling, from some wonderful people on Maui. Where are you staying? West or south? Most of the snorkel trips have great crew members, and they are very helpful with newbies, my husband included. Some people do very well off the boat with a flotation device, and others prefer to learn snorkeling from shore. The most important thing for a newbie, is to get a mask that fits! And WEAR THE FLOTATION DEVICE!!!! Also, make sure you get fins. They can help you get out of a bad situation, when you are too tired, or didn't realize how far you floated.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin watch tour?

Captain Steve's from Mala Wharf, Maui Adventure Cruises from Lahaina or Trilogy. Not sure where you are staying. You may very well see whales on your dolphin tour in November.

Edited: 4:25 pm, October 17, 2013
North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin watch tour?

We are staying in south Maui...all the way south at Makena resort ;-)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin watch tour?

Check out Blue Water Rafting, unless you have back issues. They leave from the Kihei Boat Ramp, south end of Kihei. There will be other option leaving from Ma'alaea Harbour as well. If you find the tour that works best for you leaves from Lahaina, that isn't a bad thing, as there is lots to do in Lahaina and West Maui after or before the tour.

Trilogy is a company I have used in the past, and they offer a discount if you book online ahead of time.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin watch tour?

Going on some kind of boat tour to Lanai will give you the best chance to see dolphins. I believe you will have to go to Lahaina to get on a tour that goes to Lanai. Trilogy and Paragon are my favorites.

Check out Maui Snorkel Tours for snorkeling lessons. Great people to work with.

mauisnorkeltours.com/maui-snorkeling-trips.h…

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,050 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphin watch tour?

Pacific Whale Foundations start whale tours November 4.

"From November 4 through May 15, Pacific Whale Foundation offers multiple whalewatch eco-adventures throughout the day from Ma’alaea Harbor."

www.pacificwhale.org/cruises/whale-watches

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphin watch tour?

@dusty56438, Thanks for your valuable advise! I thought PWF offer whale watching only after Decmber...but you're correct - i just checked their website again and I could book with them!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,525 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolphin watch tour?

You would have just as much luck spotting them from other tours...snorkeling etc. I would do a search on PWF...not recommended by a lot of us on here for many reasons.

9. Re: Dolphin watch tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 20, 2014