We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Topic
Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

Hi guys, need your advice. We will be visiting Hawaii for the first time this September. Did extensive research. h and it looks like Maui would be nice. We are a couple in 30s and I will be 4 month pregnant. From what I read, I think we will do Road to Hana one day, then Haleakala National Park another day and the rest we will visit different beach every day. I think we would like to spend a day on Big Beach, Kaanapali Beach, Paia Bay, Peahi (Jaws) and maybe to take a look at Baldwin Beach, Red Sand Beach (Kaihalulu), Black Sand Beach (Oneuli). I’m planning to have a 7 day vacation and take it easy. I like the mixture of relaxing one day on the beach and then doing something next day. We were planning on renting a car just for 2 days to go to Hana and Haleakala. But it looks like it says that you have to have a car all the time. Please let me know what you think taking a look at my itinerary. Do I really need to have a car for all 7 days? Are those beaches that I’m interested in accessible by a cab ride, let’s say if a cab ride to a beach is like $5-10, I would rather do that instead of having car all 7 days. I was planning on booking a good resort at Kaanapali Beach to be close to everything. But if you say that I need a car every single day to go where I want, even visit beach, then I guess the location where you stay doesn’t matter much and I shouldn’t be forking out a lot for a specific location.

Your advices will be greatly appreciated!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,144 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

Yes, you have the numbers right. There will be signs too. You will want to arrive up there before six thirty. The colours of the sky before the actual sunrise will be interesting to watch. And you need to get there earlier if you want to park up at the top. If the lot is full, the gate will be closed. No worries though. Just park at the lower parking lot (visitor center and washrooms here), and walk up. TAKE A FLASHLIGHT!!!! And a blanket, and your red mittens from the Olympics!!! Okay, you don't need the mittens, as socks will do the trick, but it would be cool if you were to wear your mittens and wave at Nanaimo from the top ;o)

You want to give yourself a good two hours to get up there.

READ SASCOOTER's trip report!!!! She just did Haleakala sunrise this morning!! It's just up! Good information there for you.

Have a great time!!

Edited: 9:26 pm, September 06, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
82. Re: Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

You are hilarious! Believe it or not, but I don't even have those mittens, even though I'm from Calgary. ;) But I will make sure that I have socks and blanket and get there early as I'm pregnant so don't want to walk and freeze. We will leave then 3.30 am from Kaanapali.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,144 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

WHAT!! No mittens??? Even Oprah Winfrey was giving them away during one of her shows! The new ones for Sochi won't be out in the stores before you leave, so you won't be able to get the 2014 ones. Bet the Bay has some from last year though! Only ten bucks!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
84. Re: Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

I know! I know! Shame on me! I just don't go out much on the street in winter. Just skiing, so I have those.

Ok, reading right now this guide hawaii-guide.com/maui/sights/haleakala_natio… and it drives me nuts. I’m researching right now on Haleakala, basically want to do Sunrise and some easy trails and again it has mentioning here about Hana and its trails. Why it has mentioning about Hana here? Are they really close together and one leading to another? Does it make sense to continue my journey from Haleakala sunrise to Hana and its trails? Or I should return back the way I came and head back? Is that possible? Or perhaps it’s one way road?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,144 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

You can NOT do the sunrise, and then the Road to Hana in one day. They are two separate days. Have you got a good map??? The "Air Maui Map" is great. I actually keep it by my computer.

The Haleakala National Park is HUGE. And you can access it from two sides. The drive up for the sunrise is through Upcountry and Kula, to the top. That is a one day adventure, because after sunrise, you can walk a bit down the Sliding Sands Trail. DO NOT GO VERY FAR!!! If you walk down for a half hour, you will need an hour to walk back out. Thin air, and I don't think you should do any hiking up there because of that. You will know once you get there. Altitude sickness can happen to anyone, any age.

There is lots to see in Upcountry, including a winery, a lavender farm, a botanical garden, Makawao, and down Baldwin Street, all the way to Paia on the north shore.

On another day, do the Road to Hana, and drive the extra half hour past the town of Hana to the "other" side of Haleakala. That is where Oheo Gulch is, and the Pipiwai Trail. Also, another 3 minutes drive further, is the beautiful Ho'omau Church, and where Lindbergh is buried. There is a small park there, and the view of the coast is amazing. We actually have a picture taken from there as our screensaver right now.

http://goo.gl/maps/VXOpV

This is the route for Haleakala for the sunrise and the crater.

http://goo.gl/maps/LcrhV

This is the route to Oheo Gulch.

You can NOT do them the same day!! The Road to Hana day can easily be a 12 hour day. It can also be four hour day. Turn around at any point if you feel sick, or you are not having a good time!

Hope I haven't just confused you more!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,379 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

Well done, Joan! Infiniti.......def follow Joan' s advice and look at the routes she posted. I think it will help you get the perspectives.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
87. Re: Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

I really appreciate your advice. Everything seems to be straightforward now that I see maps. I will follow your advice and do everything as you say as it makes sense now to me.

My plan would be to see the sunrise and then I'm afraid I won't be able to make trail that you recommend as it says that it's not easy one and as I said I'm pregnant so I'm sure it will be painful for me to make the way back even if it's just 1 hour.

But instead I researched and found these trails/lookouts:

Kalahaku Overlook: hawaii-guide.com/maui/…prettyPhoto

Leleiwi Overlook: hawaii-guide.com/maui/…prettyPhoto

Pa Kaoao Trail: hawaii-guide.com/maui/hiking_trails/haleakal…

It looks like they all occur before we come to the actual crater but I'm thinking after sunrise, I should be able to return back by the same road and stop by. What do you think? Are those good taking the time and stopping?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,144 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

The first two are fine. They are like viewpoints. And beautiful! Very short walk from the parking lot to the actual viewpoint. I am not familiar with the third one. Hopefully sw will come back and give you some information about that one.

Another option would be Hosmer Grove. It is where people camp in the park. There is a walk through the forest there, and it would be easier for you. You can turn around at any point. The elevation is not nearly as high there, and it is still a nice walk.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,379 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

"white hill", or Pa Kaoao, is the same starting point to take Sliding Sands. It starts by the parking lot of the Visitor Center, and winds 'around' the edge--kind of under the summit observation center. It's def pretty easy.

Biggest thing you will need to watch is the altitude. If you start to feel lightheaded or nauseous, SIT DOWN. Take deep, slow breaths, until it passes. Then get up SLOWLY, and call it enough for your adventure.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
90. Re: Maui and car rental for our itinerary (first-timers)

Ok, great, then I think I'm pretty much set for this visit. I will do all 3 that I mentioned above and take it easy. If feeling not good, then just will return back. I looked at Hosmer Grove before but it doesn't look like it's something that I will like. It looks like more like a forest type of thing. I don't like walking in the forest much when I have the luxury to enyoj the ocean. J0an, you know how much forest walks we do here in BC and Alberta with Rocky Mountains.

The only one that I am really dying to do is this

hawaii-guide.com/maui/…prettyPhoto

Like this first picture is insanely beautiful but it's not for me for sure, too long.... Or do you guys think that I can at least start it and will be able to see that green beauty within first 30 min of hike?? Then I would try it and return back.

Please let me know.