We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tough choice...please help

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Tough choice...please help

Hi, we are visiting 1 week at Maui and 1 week at Big Island in the later half of November. We have never done a helicopter ride anywhere...and we have booked guided lava-view hike. We are also spending 2 days on Road-to-Hana(staying overnight at Hana). We are young couple; we enjoy waterfalls, hikes and trails. Overall, we like adventures and nature.

Now, shall we do helicopter ride in hawaii? If yes, we can only do one. then, which one? Lava view in BI, or 'wall of tears' and other waterfalls in Maui, or any other?

dallas
Level Contributor
194 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tough choice...please help

we loved our helicopter tour of maui

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,222 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tough choice...please help

Wow - that's a toughie. Given that you are traveling over Thanksgiving, you'll want to pin down that flight pronto (as well as cars, catamaran sails, zip lines, luau, etc.)

I ... can't answer you! But I will advise, to balance out your responses, that you also post this question on the Big Island Forum.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tough choice...please help

Hmm . . . I haven't done a helicopter flight on any island - most recommend island to see by air is Kauai, since so much of the island is inaccessible by car, etc. I think the second most is the Big Island - since it is so much larger than any of the other islands as well as the chance to see lava flowing - I think if Maui and the Big Island by air was my choice, I would do the Big Island. Good luck! :)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tough choice...please help

Big Island. It's pretty much the only way you will be able to see lava flowing if it's visible when you are here. You will see many waterfalls at eye level on the RTH, so I think it's the best of both worlds. Have you asked on the BI forum?

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tough choice...please help

I've had the chance to do both and while seeing lava flowing on the Big Island is a real thrill, you can't guarantee it'll be flowing when you fly. If you are really into waterfalls, I'll suggest a West Maui / Moloka'i tour. Seeing West Maui from the air is cool, and the waterfalls on the northeastern coast of Moloka'i are spectacular. Book a morning flight as the clouds can obscure the full height of the falls later in the day.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tough choice...please help

I have done both, many times. I tend to agree with Shank--only because you have already booked a land hike on the BI. Out of the Maui tours, I too would opt for the West Maui Mountains/Molokai tour. It is magnificent!

I would only book with Sunshine or Blue Hawaiian-and spend the extra to be on the bigger bird, too. Don't forget to wear dark colored tops.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tough choice...please help

I completely agree with swmarket and shank. The west maui + molokai flight gets you to places that are inaccessable in west maui and are utterly beautiful. plus, you may see whales in the channel!

Edited: 11:40 pm, August 22, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tough choice...please help

The West Maui Molokai flight shows you so much inaccesable areas and the highest sea cliffs in the world.

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tough choice...please help

@BLBL - yes, We've booked almost everything ;-)

10. Re: Tough choice...please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 25, 2014