We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

Just wanted to give a big thank you to all you wonderful people about the advice to check prices frequently and for all the recent posts about car rental price drops!

I have been checking and seeing slight decreases. I just checked (again) this morning and was able to rebook for $100 less through Costco - both Enterprise and Alamo dropped this morning (I originally had Budget.)

Discount Hawaii Car Rentals was also down significantly, but not as much as Costco.

This is for the beginning of September.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

That is awesome. Have a great time!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

Good work!!! We are the third week of September and looking forward to the drops coming up! Alamo moved significantly and I switched from Budget.....through Costco. I was a person that prepaid in years past and thanks to TA, I stopped that nonsense!

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

Thanks for the heads-up. I was able to bring my Oahu week's rental down by $120, changing from Budget to Alamo. One funny thing: By changing my return time from 2:00pm to 2:30pm, my rental charge went down an extra $30, saving the $120 instead of $90! Something to keep in mind.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
331 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

Its become a fun game of rental car top that. I went from 210 to 163 than remembered about Costco now I'm at 155 for a standard thru Enterprise.

If this keeps up one of us will claim that a rental car company is paying us to drive one of their cars.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

Yep, I rebooked by car rental thru Alamo, via Costco....yeah baby!!! September, here we come!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

Okay, so I checked Costco, and the Alamo website, and neither one beats my quote from DHCR (Thrifty's) at 283.11, or my Enterprise reservation for 268.65. It's for nine days...

I am guessing it may be different for Canadians??? Shall continue to check every couple of days and see what happens!

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

When are you going Joan? Yup, just keep checking, just keep checking....

When these threads first starting popping up the last few days, I started checking and didn't really see much of a drop for our time period (beginning of Sept, 8 days), so didn't rebook. Then suddenly this morning, both Enterprise and Alamo on both sites dropped dramatically, so now I am at $189 thru Costco ($202 at DHCR).

Not sure why there seemed to be a delay.

Edited: 7:31 pm, July 30, 2013
Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

I guess it just depends. I have Costco reservations for OGG and ITO at the end of August, and neither improved. ITO was the same, and OGG was actually $30 more than a few weeks ago.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

Yep, saw that Alamo dropped to meet Enterprises price this morning so I switched. Have never used Enterprise and Alamo already has our info so we breeze through.

Babs, when in September are you going to be there? We are Santa Cruz escapees. LOL

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental price drop - thank you TA members!

We're the end of September, into October.

I did get an e-mail back from DHCR, and they said prices are getting "soft", and to check back with them again between August 20th and early September.

I will check with them again on August 20th, but keep checking on my own too.