We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

We are visiting Maui, staying 11/15-11/20 in South Maui, following by 2 nights in Hana - before heading towards Big Island.

We want to experience real Hawaiian culture, in terms of dance or music or any show etc. Please advice anything you may know. So far, I found some music show near Napili area - but its on Wednesdays only :-(...and our only wednesday on Maui is booked at Hana.

(Various Luaus and Ulalena show is least proffered - not b'coz of price, but of lack of veggy food options)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

I know the Feast at LeLe will cater to vegetarian diets. It's not traditional Hawaiian culture but a Polynesian revue. Worth the big bucks if you want to go. The Old Lahaina Luau will also have a variety of vegi options but it's a traditional Hawaiian luau therefore will have more in the way of meat options.

You can catch a hula show in the Cannery Mall in Lahaina.

Check out the Maui News, they always list who is playing where and offer lots of options in all areas of Maui. Since you are staying in south Maui, check out Stella Blue's for local music.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,270 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

Also check the Bailey House Museum for their Night under the stars concerts, you take your beach chairs and sit on their lawn.theses are usually on Sat night Wonderful local big name artist perform. We heard Grammy winner George Kahumoku Jr, Slack Key Master. So far they haven't advertised much so contact them via their web page.

Mulligans on the Blue has some good entertainment. Willie K does a wonderful dinner show. It's usually scheduled for Wed nights but sometimes it's also Thursday.

Edited: 5:08 pm, July 12, 2013
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,003 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

I just stumbled across this link that will probably help you.

fairmont.com/kea-lani-maui/…

Ca
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

OLL may still be a good choice for you.

My family is vegan, so I asked about vegan options at the Old Lahaina Luau. They do offer up a few vegan main entry options, but you have to call and arrange ahead.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

Well, I was about to say the Masters of Slack Key in Napili but then you said you're doing Hana that day. How hard and fast is that? Because, frankly, with only 5 days, I'd pass on the Hana trip altogether. It's a 12 hour day (or more) and your stay on the island is brief. The Masters of Slack Key show is fantastic and you truly do come away feeling like you've spent an evening with local family listening to them sing and talk story.

Ululena is good - it's the mythical story of Maui done as a stage show with a healthy dose of Cirque du Soleil. For Luau's, the Old Lahaina Luau is the most authentically Hawaiian show.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k389937…

Check this thread. Post #2 says Feast at Lele has a very good vegetarian menu if you request ahead of time. Also, if you think you might want to do the Feast reserve ASAP for best seating. If you reserve by phone you don't have to pay at the time and can cancel later if you need to.

For other events, be sure to check the events calendars listed in the FAQ. But expect to wait until the first of November to see a lot of listings. Most are not posted very early. Have a great trip!

Edited: 10:30 pm, July 12, 2013
North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

@VCSnowbird, we are staying 5 nights in south maui, plus 2 nights in Hana. We already planned that way, and then I came to know abt this music show...so can't change it. Let's see...

But thx for for your inputs!!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

Ooops sorry. I see that now. I read too fast :-/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

I'd also recommend Feast at Lele for the best combination of a cultural (pan-pacific) experience and a great menu of vegetarian options. My wife has several dietary restrictions and they have been extremely accommodating. Definitely give them a call.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to experience true hawaiian culture?

Howdy neighbor! I'm in Morris county! I am sure you're going to love Hawaii! I think just being there makes me feel the "authentic Hawaiian" experience. I hope you enjoy