We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian music

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
80 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian music

Hello there. I just returned from Maui on Tuesday and while i was there i fell in love with some of the Hawaiian music. I didnt really care for the "Jawaiian" music which I understand is a mix of reggae/Jamican music and Hawaain music but i enjoyed the rest. loved teh laid back feel of the music. I picked up a few IZ CDs but i have some questions for teh locals regarding the music.

1. Where can I go to LEGALLY download some Hawaiian music?

2. How can I find out the artist of the songs. I heard a remake of the song Boardwalk Angel which I really enjoyed.

3. are there any radio stations that stream their broadcast on teh inet from Hawaii?

4. Which arists do you recommend to a newbie of the genre such as myself?

Thanks for all your help.

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian music

I know you can download some music at Itunes. That is where I downloaded some Iz from.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
483 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian music

http://www.hawaiianrainbow.com/listen.html (live hawaiian music)

ITunes - you can pay and download hawaiian Music

If you like IZ, you may also like Keali'i Reichel (I love every one of his CD's). I also recommend Hawaiian Slack Key Gutair Masters

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian music

music station www.am940hawaii.com is a station located in waipahu on oahu and plays traditional tunes only.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian music

1. Where can I go to LEGALLY download some Hawaiian music?

iTunes

2. How can I find out the artist of the songs. I heard a remake of the song Boardwalk Angel which I really enjoyed.

mele.com (Ka`u and Pono both recorded Boardwalk Angel, according to mele.com)

3. are there any radio stations that stream their broadcast on teh inet from Hawaii?

KPOA

4. Which arists do you recommend to a newbie of the genre such as myself?

No Hawaiian music collection would be complete without Keali`i Reichel. Also check out: Raiatea Helm, Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom, Melveen Leed, Na Palapalai, Kamaka Fernandez, Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu

Instrumental: Jake Shimkuburo, Makana, Brittni Paiva

For some great stuff from the older generation: Uncle Richard Ho`opi`i, Keola Beamer, George Helm, Auntie Genoa Keawe

For more contemporary, Kupa`aina, Barefoot Natives (Willie K & Eric Gilliom)

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
480 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian music

Check out Ekolu. These guys are very good.

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian music

When I'm dreaming about my next trip to Maui (6 months from yesterday) I love to listen to KPOA

www.kpoa.com

I KU MAU MAU
Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian music

Add in HAPA for contemporary Hawaiian music. I prefer their earlier stuff ("In the Name of Love", "Hapa", "Namahana" etc.) - when they were Barry Flanigan and Keli'i Kaneali'i.

If you listen to Ekolu and like them, try listen to BET (Big Every Time) or Ho'onua. Also Fiji and Oshun do a lot of local favorites.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian music

A web site that plays modern Hawaiian Music, and has a really large link to all types of island music (Pacific) is

www.alohajoe.com

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian music

We listen to KPOA but they do tend to play some Jawaiian. We like it because we like reggae. Mrs. S. is a slack key lover. She says it sounds like Hawaii to her. We also like Kei'lihi Reichel and Hapa.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian music

Radio Station that stream, try the following:

KINE - http://hawaiian105.com

PipeLine 2 Paradise (out of Las Vegas) - http://www.pipeline2paradise.com