We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see/do in Maui?

Cleveland, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Must see/do in Maui?

We will be staying at Sheraton Maui on Black Rock from late Wed night the 29th-June 3rd. This is a 1st anniversary/honeymoon trip as we never took a real honeymoon after our wedding. What are some of the really must do or sees on Maui? We love hiking and the outdoors. I'm a little terrified to scuba, but I think I could snorkel. I really want to see some local culture and would like to do some local shopping as well. Recommendations? I've read through the forums and the listings, just would like to see if anyone has anything else to say. Thanks!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,419 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see/do in Maui?

For hiking, check out the Kapalua Trails, the coastal one for sure. There is also the Waihee Ridge Trail, offering wonderful views of Kahului and the north. And if you manage a trip to Hana and beyond to Oheo Gulch, the Pipiwai Trail is a wonderful two hour hike (return) through an amazing bamboo forest.

Haleakala offers more hikes as well, but you need to remember to take WATER! And also, if you hike down the crater for half an hour, expect to take an hour to walk back up.

Check out some music... Willie K is great, and plays most Wednesdays at Mulligan's on the Blue. Closer for you would be the slack key guitar concert, up at Napili, also on Wednesday nights. Actually, that won't work... you arrive late Wednesday night. Willie K plays other venues on island, so check out his website.

Have a great trip!

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see/do in Maui?

First off I think it's so nice you're getting to take this belated honeymoon after only one year :) I think you'll find the Sheraton really nice. I'll bet you'll enjoy the evening torch lighting.

Definitely try snorkeling. Definitely take a trip up to Kapalua, explore Lahaina. My wife and I loved the Feast at Le Le a kind of high-end luau/dinner show with private tables and excellent food.

Have a really great time and a great life together too :)

Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see/do in Maui?

Take the free Sheraton shuttle into Lahaina and stroll Front St...shop and check out the restaurants.

Drive north as far as the blow hole and admire the scenery, stop at DT Fleming park and the Honolua overlook.

Wander down to Whaler's Village in the evening for some great dinner options.

Snorkel right in front of the Shedraton at Black Rock. Take a sunset cocktail cruise that leaves from the beach.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,835 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see/do in Maui?

The 'really must do or sees' will vary from person to person, but generally here's a list of some highlights that people enjoy.

- Road to Hana (this is an all day event; the Pipiwai Trail is an excellent hike on this route)

- A luau (check out Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele)

- A morning snorkel or sunset catamaran trip (have a look at Trilogy or Teralani). If you want to give snorkelling a try, this is a good way to try it .... perhaps try the Trilogy West Maui morning snorkel.

- driving up to Haleakala summit (you could hike part of Sliding Sands trail starting at the summit visitor's centre)

- Iao Valley (can be combined with Haleakala Summit).

- exploring/shopping in Lahaina

- a day in south Maui (for those staying in west Maui) ... or vice versa.

- Maui Ocean Centre

- Surfing lesson (look at Goofyfoot in Lahaina).

A guide book would be helpful and it will give you suggested itineraries. This is one of the books that I have and would work well for a short trip. amazon.com/Frommers-Maui-Day-Pocket/dp/11183…

Just to add ... a popular hike is the Waihee Ridge Trail. Perhaps an alternative to doing the Road to Hana, and it will only take up half of your day instead of the whole day. The trail is 5 miles total (2.5 miles in and out), with a 1500 ft. elevation gain, and is a 1 hour drive each way from where you're staying.

Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,358 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see/do in Maui?

You'll love the Sheraton. Great choice. You have your car reserved, yes?

Do you have a good travel guide or two for Maui? A good map? The maps they give you at the car rental places are pretty bad, but you will find a large collection of maps and other brochures at the luggage claim at the airport.

http://www.slackkeyshow.com/ This Grammy-winning concert series is not far from the Sheraton. Very casual. Go early and take a picnic on the beach at Napili. (It will be easier to park!)

http://www.ulalena.com/ This is another great evening entertainment venue. Lahaina is fun for shopping, historic sites, restaurants and activities. I prefer early morning ...

Also - consider a catamaran snorkel sail. I prefer Trilogy, and they shove off the beach right "next door" to the Sheraton. Their staff is great, and will take good care of you. The "Ka'anapali Snorkel" is great for snorkeling (take the early morning) ... with incredible views of the West Maui Maountains. And also consider the sunset sail.

kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/… Here is a rough map of Ka'anapali. Whaler's Village is about mid-point between the Sheraton at one end and the Hyatt at the other. I highly-recommend the Hula Grill outdoor seating.

Cleveland, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see/do in Maui?

Thank you everybody! We do have a car rental and will check out as much as we can while we're there! Husband is really excited to try the FOOD in Hawaii lol!

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see/do in Maui?

We are going to be at the Sheraton Black Rock from May 30 to June 2 too...we visit Maui every year and most of our favorites have already been mentioned, but for a romantic dinner we always love Sonz in the Hyatt....the black swans and gardens are breathtaking. Also love snorkeling right at Black Rock and also Napili Bay. Have taken a Triology sail every year to sail and snorkel. For casual meals...lots of choices in Whalers and Lahania. Have a great honeymoon!

Level Contributor
37,213 posts
956 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see/do in Maui?

Feast @ Lele and Road To Hana were two fun things we enjoyed! :)

Level Contributor
11,688 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must see/do in Maui?

For food suggestions look at the top questions for Maui restaurants and Maui Cheap eats.

Some of my suggestions for you in West Maui are:

Ululani's Shave Ice (never say shaved ice!) And accept no substitutes for Ululani's! I order with Roselani's ice cream on the bottom, mochi, and li hing mui powder on top.

Roselani's ice cream! Eat as often as possible.

Poke! It's a wonderful Hawaiian treat!

Fish Market Maui in Honokawai, a bit north of Ka'anapali, for the BEST fresh fish take out! Fish tacos, fish burgers, made to order poke and more!

Farmers Market Store is is just a block north of Fish Market and they have an actual outdoor market 3 mornings a week. They have yummy prepared health foods and good fresh produce.

Eat apple banana every day!

Anything that you can get with lilikoi, try it!

Sheraton's Cliff Dive Bar for the sunset cliff dive ceremony. Their mahi mahi is always good.

Mai tai's - order anywhere but Dukes, just my opinion, but some others agree!

Star Noodle - everything is delicious! No reservations and it's very busy, so try to go at an off time.

Try Hawaiian plate lunch at Aloha Mixed Plate or Local Food, both in Lahaina.

Honolulu Cookie Company cookies in Whalers Village or Lahaina.

You have a short trip so I concentrated on recommendations on the West side, and there are many more ideas. If you want to enjoy a very special meal, you can't go wrong (imo) with Mama's Fish House near Paia, and near the airport. It might be perfect for your last meal before you fly home. Or are you lucky enough to be flying on to another island after Maui?

This not about the food, though you can get some good food here too. Try to stay awake on Friday night for Willie K's 9:00 show at Kimo's in Lahaina. He is a MUST see on Maui. http://williek.com/show-dates/

Have a wonderful trip, and ask more questions! This forum has been so helpful to many of us.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Must see/do in Maui?

After reading TA for months the one thing we're doing in January that we didn't do before is a sunset sail on The Scotch Mist. We're also going to do an afternoon performance sail on The America II. If you can still get reservations at Feast at Lele I'd really recommend doing that. It's the one activity we're repeating on our trip in January.