We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

Washington DC...
5 posts
Save Topic
wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your help thus far. We are really getting pumped for our honeymoon and will post our itinerary soon!

I have another question for people - is the Wailea Marriott worth it?? We want to spend a few nights at a resort and then travel on to cheaper condos and cottages. My thinking was that the Marriott is on the beach, has a nice looking pool, has prime snorkeling location for Turtle Town, and I read it also has a good tennis center (though whether this is better than any other resort's, who knows). All this for a partial ocean view for about $300/night before the resort fee. The other options seem to be $500/night, or around the same price as the Marriott but without the beach front/good snorkeling location.

Would love to hear people's thoughts, if you have any. This is our first time in Maui, but we have traveled widely throughout Asia and other places. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,218 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

The Marriott is my favorite Wailea hotel. It is oceanfront (not beachfront), but there are wonderful beaches on either side, just a short stroll down a paved path. I like the property because it seems more serene than the other more expensive Wailea resorts. Ask for a room near the lovely adult pool. There is a small kid's pool and slide area, but it is off to one side of the grounds far away from the public areas and other pool(s). I have only stayed there once, but usually visit for breakfast or cocktails because I like the atmosphere.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
954 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

I think the Wailea Marriott is a great property. It's such a short walk to Ulua Beach, our favorite South Maui snorkeling spot. Do doublecheck the resort fee--does it include parking fee or is that separate? Still will probably pencil out better than most other resorts, though. Usually, if one moves on vacation, my suggestion is to try out the "other" coast. For example, if you stay in a condo on the West side, moving to the South side for the rest of the trip will give you a new perspective or vise versa.

Edited: 9:48 am, May 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Ulua Beach
Ulua Beach
584 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
119 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

Just to emphasize what others have said, the Wailea Marriott does not have beach directly in front of the resort, but to the north and south a 5 minute walk brings you to 2 very nice beaches, and there are many other nice South Maui beaches within a 10 minute drive. Check this map to see how the Marriott has a rocky shoreline. (edit: sorry, link did not become hyperlink, you would need to copy into address bar) https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wailea-Makena,+HI&hl=en&ll=20.687165,-156.443778&spn=0.00805,0.009645&sll=39.269448,-76.829155&sspn=0.213166,0.308647&oq=wailea,&t=h&hnear=Wailea-Makena,+Maui,+Hawaii&z=17

If you like, look for my review on the Wailea Marriott, we just got back 3 weeks ago from our second stay. A few things I will note, I do not believe their tennis center is on site, I certainly did not see it during our stay and I did explore the resort grounds pretty extensively. The adult pool is much nicer than the other pools, but seating, especially under the umbrellas, can be difficult to get as people reserve the spaces with towels and the resort does not enforce their own policy of removing towels from unoccupied chairs after 30 min. The resort fee IS optional, but it does include self parking which by itself would be $25. So the extra $5 per day may be worth it. I have the resort activity pass right here and this is what the resort fee gets you:

-Unlimited local and long distance calls

-Fax service

-Daily self parking

-15% discount on laundry and dry cleaning

-20% discount shipping fedex or ups in their business center

-10% discount at onsite jewelry shop

-free jewelry clearning 1pm-5pm daily

-10% discount on 50 minute spa service

-20% discount on dinner at MALA restaurant

-10% discount on cabana and cassabella rentals at pool (we did the cabana rental twice during our stay, normally $150 for the whole day, but $125 with the resort pass plus you get two tropical drinks included and a fruit tray, so actually more than the 10% off offer. The casabellas are these little padded 2 person loungers with a small sunshade, i think they are something like $25-$35 per day)

-20% off boogie board and paddle board rental

-10% off ocean side cabanas (not even sure where these are)

-Free introductory scuba lesson

-10% off activity of the day (i think these were usually kids activities, making lei's, etc.)

- Two coupons for free mai tais (but you can really just get whatever drink you want)

Also, if you want to have the breakfast buffet, just sign up for Marriott Rewards (their points/loyalty program) and you get a coupon for a few dollars off that. Sometimes they offer discounted rates for marriott rewards if booking through the marriott website. We booked our trip through orbitz as a package as it was the most economical because they had a 30% off deal for the Marriott which was cheaper than even the Marriott friends and family rate (we are friends with a marriott employee so we can get the discount).

Edited: 10:36 am, May 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
778 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
954 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

Thanks Chris for the info. I know their site used to clearly state that a $30 resort fee covered parking but for those booking now it's not nearly as clear and actually looks like you'd need to pay both resort fee and separate parking fee; however that would add up to $55, I believe, which just sounds wrong so hopefully the $30 option is still in effect for those booking into the future. All the details you've listed in your post will be helpful for those looking into staying at the Marriott.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

The Wailea Marriott is a wonderful hotel. Ulua Beach sits on the side of it. It's not near turtle town though. Turtle town is about a 15-20 minute drive down to Makena. Maluaka Beach, which sits in front of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort is where you can get close to turtle town. You may want to consider this hotel also. No parking or resort fees.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Ulua Beach
Ulua Beach
584 Reviews
Maui, HI
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
778 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maluaka Beach
Maluaka Beach
321 Reviews
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,167 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

I would 'save dessert for last'. Stay in a condo first and THEN go to the Marriott Wailea (or Makena Beach Resort).

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
778 Reviews
Maui, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,243 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

Sue -- well maybe it would be good for meg to reiterate her situation ... as I am fuzzy. I don't think she was renting a condo. Maybe.

As I mentioned before, I'd stay at the Marriott in a heart-beat. There is no reason to think ill of it just because the other resorts in the area cost so much more.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

Read the op, BLBL, that will get rid of your fuzziness!!

9. Re: wailea marriott vs. other wailea resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 18, 2014