We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf course help

Minnesota
Level Contributor
671 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Golf course help

My parents will be joining us on Maui this fall for our wedding, and I thought a great Father's Day gift for my dad would be a gift certificate for green fees. So I have some questions...

Do any golf courses sell gift certificates like this?

Which course would be best for him? He's always just been a social golfer- not very good, but enjoys playing, and would enjoy really nice views. We're all staying in Kaanapali (they'll be at the Whaler) so something in West Maui would probably be best.

Thanks!

Wernersville, PA
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf course help

How about Kapalua? It's 15 minutes up the road from Kaanapali, and has three great courses to choose from.

The Plantation Course is home to the Mercedes Championship, which kicks off the PGA tour each January. It's incredibly beautiful, offering awesome vistas at every turn, however be warned it's a very challenging layout thanks to stiff trade winds. While playing there was an unforgettable experience for me, being a social golfer like your dad it chewed me up pretty good.

I have not played the Bay or Village Courses, but stayed at the Kapalua Villas several times and know that the Bay Course also offers some great ocean views as well. Here's their website:

http://kapalua.com/golf/courses/index.html

Just a suggestion... perhaps you could contact Kapalua, speak to a pro and let them guide your decision? Also, you might be able to get a generic certificate and your dad could choose for himself?

Regardless of what you do, this is a great idea.

S. Big Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf course help

Hi janeavril,

Another option I think would be Kaanapali South course. Although I did not play it, nor any coarse on Maui for that matter, I did drive by it several times and looked it over. I also inquired online about the different courses on Maui. This has a reputation as a forgiving course which appeared so from my view. Supposedly it's not as windy at Kaanapali as it is in Kapalua. I guess that would depend on what time of year you were there. It was pretty windy at the Hyatt where we were which is adjacent to the course. Also, very important in my book, we did not see alot of golfers out on the course. i.e. little waiting. We were there April 30th to May 7th 2006.

T

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
186 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf course help

Aloha!!!

Congratulations on your upcomming marraige. You will love your hondymoon in Hawaii.

What a great gift idea. The courses on Maui are wonderful. My husband and I have been on many of the courses on Maui. We would choose any of the 3 courses at Waialea or the ones at Kapalua. Our favorite at Waialea is the Gold course. The Emerald is the most beautiful. In Kapalua the Plantation is the most famous and a wonderful course. It is probably the most expensive on the island.

Although we stay in a condo on the 13 hole of the Kaanapali 's north course we felt it was overpriced for the course and the shape it was in. It does have some great ocean views.

You might want to check this website for information on all the courses on Maui .

www.teetimeshawaii.com

www.islandgolf.com/ign_maui..html#12

Where ever you choose you will love golf in paradise. Have a great trip and honeymoon.

Deannatravel

4. Re: Golf course help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 15, 2009