We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Bedbugs??

Savannah, GA
3 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Bedbugs??

I don't want to start a "bug thread", but hope someone can ease my concern.

In preparation for our trip to Maui/Lanai next week, I have gone to many websites and forums. Over the weekend I came across two different forums that mentioned hotel guests being bitten by bugs in their beds--one at a 5-star resort and the other also at a nice hotel on Maui.

I don't recall any other details or even which websites these were on, but it did "bug" me.

If anyone has any info to confirm this, hope to hear before we go---we will be taking bug-killer, nevertheless.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Bedbugs??

starbulletin.com/2006/…story01.html

honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article…

taipeitimes.com/News/…2003299682

Found this information for you. Hope this helps ease your mind some and not make it worse. No hotel names were mentioned in the above links, but we did find some traveler reviews where names were mentioned. Bugs are all around us, and some species creep people out more then others. Don't let it drive you buggy!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Bedbugs??

Here's what to do after you check in.

Rip off the bedding: Examine the folds of the mattress and any crevices around the headboard area, where bedbugs have been known to hide out. Dotted brown-gray stains on the mattress can mean bedbugs are regular guests there.

Examine the sheets closely: "Tiny blood spots on the sheets are their calling card," says Dr. Gary Bennett, a professor of entomology at Purdue University.

Take a whiff: An infested room will have a sickly-sweet smell.

Don't put luggage on the bed: Bedbugs spread primarily by stowing away in the baggage of oblivious travelers, so avoid helping them find a new home.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Bedbugs??

uh....ok.

i've never been bitten by a bug in bed at ANY hotel ANYwhere. and we've slept with windows open all through the caribbean, maui, & mexico.

i HAVE had several spider bites in my own bed at home.

Wenatchee, WA
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Bedbugs??

I had freinds who recently had a nightmare experience with bedbugs in Las Vegas. I check my bedding FIRST thing before doing anything else apon arrival. This is the best way to be sure for yourself. Those bites are nasty and itchy.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,287 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Bedbugs??

In five years of owning a vacation rental condo in Kihei we had ONE person complain about "bed bugs". Our management agency immediately took care of it by bombing the place.. The father complaining about his daughter's bites then admitted he had allowed her to bring a feral cat *inside* the condo. The bites were from FLEAS. Things aren't always what the seem.

Oregon City, Oregon
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Bedbugs??

Seven years ago when I visited Kona with several other people, I spent an entire day itching BIG RED bug bites all over me. I counted literally 150+ just on my arms. After several hours of itching, it occurred to me that I was the only one in our group who had the bites. We went back to my room and checked in my bed and sure enough it had bugs. I'm not sure that they were truly "bed Bugs" but they were definitely bugs. The hotel didn't care and wouldn't do anything about it except clean the room and change the bed. I can't remember the hotel name but it's right outside of Kona and I believe it use to be the old Hilton. Will never stay there again.

Level Contributor
356 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Bedbugs??

I've wondered the same thing, and have read articles about a spreading bed bug problem in New York hotels. (Once DDT was outlawed, the bugs seem to have made a comeback.)

After you check the bedding to determine whether there's a bug problem, then what? Obviously I'd ask for a new room, but at a busy time of year that can be a futile request.

Changing the sheets won't get rid of them. Do you buy a can of bug killer, blast the room, then leave for a few hours? I don't relish the thought of breathing chemicals all night any more than the thought of sleeping with critters.

Maybe sleep with an organic bug repellant on your skin?

chicago, il
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Bedbugs??

If you find bugs, then you call mang. of hotel.

If all other rooms are full, he finds you a new hotel and pays for the difference. If that is not done, a very simple request for the press to look at your room with bugs will have the mang. of the hotel kissing your feet till he finds you a new room/hotel. That is what you do.

Level Contributor
356 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Bedbugs??

I love the thought of calling the press! Don't mind the thought of management sucking up to me, either. Thanks!

10. Re: Hotel Bedbugs??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, August 15, 2009