We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
341 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

First - in case you didn't know, American's frequent flyer program, AAdvantage, is celebrating its 25th anniversary. One of the promotions is a 25% discount on the number of miles it takes to get award tickets to Hawaii. Rules are that you have to book during May, and travel between August 22 and November 8.

I'm hoping that this helps you guys out, and I'm also sort of hoping that it costs American some money. You see, I'm sort of peeved at them.

I booked my AAdvantage award flight on April 14th. ORD to OGG and back. I've been sitting on these miles for 10 years, waiting for just the right time to use them.

Two weeks later they announced this promotion. And yes, I am flying in September, so I would have qualified.

Then, on May 7, American cancelled the ORD->OGG flight (thanks to TA member pemarsh for alerting me). I checked my reservations, and they had changed my flight, without telling me, to go through DFW. They also gave us middle seats on both flights to and from Maui - all the window seats were gone.

So technically, my flight wasn't ticketed in April. That flight is gone. The flight I have was ticketed in May. By American. Without my knowledge. But whatever.

So, I wrote them an email. I was very polite and calm, I explained the situation, I decried the irony that we might have saved 17,500 points if we had only waited an extra two weeks (after 10 years) before booking our flight. I mentioned that it was our anniversary trip. I explained the fact that our flight was changed in May by them. Isn't there some loophole, I asked, that would allow me to take advantage of the promotional rates? It would mean enough miles for me to take another award trip, and it would cost American nothing.

Several days later I got their reply. "We are here for you. Thanks so much for allowing us to serve you. We love our customers. Unfortunately, you are out of luck. Too bad!"

"Oh by the way, let us take the opportunity to offer you an American Airlines/CitiBank MasterCard. Blah blah blah."

So, not only did they refuse to help me out, and refuse to offer any explanation, but they had the audacity to try and separate me from a few more of the very lonely dollars in my wallet.

I really didn't expect them to do anything for us. Hey, I buy lottery tickets too, every once in a while. I assumed it was unlikely, but possible, that someone would see the unfortunate timing and take the initiative to build some customer loyalty. I even fantasized that they might bump us up to first because it was our anniversary. Hey, I'm a romantic!

But it really sort of burned me up that they said "no" in one terse sentence, and then proceeded to spend two paragraphs telling me about the benefits of having their dern credit card.

So, on the assumption that it does cost them when people get awards cheaply, while at the same time benefiting you TA travellers: please, if you have some miles banked up and Hawaii is in your plans this fall, take advantage of their offer and get it at 25% less. If I can't have it, I'll feel better if as many of you as possible can.

Sorry for the rant. Have a nice day.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
440 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

I feel your pain booking with miles, but feel very fortunate that you are able to use miles to go! From our neck of the woods a flight to Hawaii is not a cheap adventure at all. Last year we went using United miles and had wonderful flights and times. This year we are going using Northwest miles and our flight schedule is terrible!!! But it is free so really, can't complain too much! From what people say it is hard enough to actually be successful in using miles for Hawaii! The airlines, for the most part, are not much of a travellers friend. Enjoy your trip!

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

nice tip, I wish delta would offer some deals, we have all these delta miles and their mileage club stinks, basically for hawaii they want double (70,000 miles), I think I am going to switch to aloha, they offer 1 1/2 miles per dollar.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

papa342 -- We, too, were VERY unhappy with the way AA failed its customers when it decided to discontinue this flight. We've been taking every February it since it started and it has always been packed, so I fail to see how ending it saves money. They were stupid to tell people wanting to book in 2007 that there were no seats. Why not tell the truth, that they'd cancelled the flight?

Now we are booked ORD - HNL - OGG. At least I THINK we are! I'm going to be darn mad if that gets "lost" and we lose our upgraded seats. (We buy economy and use miles to upgrade. Since we own a condo in Kihei, our airfare is a tax deduction.)

I'm so sorry your carefully laid plans were of no consequence to AA.

When are you traveling?

St Charles MO
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

ChiSue:

We are travelling in late Sept, returning early Oct. It's going to be a blast, don't get me wrong, and I'm very excited to be going. I just get kind of defensive when I get jerked around by a big corporation.

Sorry for whining, everyone. But I really do want you guys to take advantage of this offer while it lasts - it's a really good deal. (There, I just gave AA free advertising.)

By the way ChiSue - we still have one night with no lodging lined up at the end of our trip, and we were hoping to spend it in Kihei. Have any early October "pukas" in your condo's schedule?

St Charles MO
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

Oops - sorry - I was logged into Mama's laptop so that last post went under her TA user. It was really me - papa342...

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

what flight was cxld? I'm going first class on AA miles in October(150,000 for both of us). I got my tickets WAY back in December and I'm glad I did...those flight are full in first classs now.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
341 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

The ORD-OGG flight was cancelled after September 6. There's still direct flights from DFW-OGG, or LAX-OGG, or you can connect through Honolulu. If you were flying through Chicago, go look under "My Reservations" on the AA web site and see if they've stuck you on a different flight (in bad seats)....

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

nevermind.....I read the entire post.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

papa -- We do have openings at that time, but we have a four night minimum, as do most condos. Maybe you would "splurge" on a hotel in Wailea? (Do tour through Maui Kamaole if you have time and let me know how the landscaping crew is doing!)

ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AAdvantage AAniversary promotional award rates

I have just booked my first trip to Hawaii. Using mileage points through Alaska Airlines for a AA flight. (120,000 points) I have been saving points for about 6 years for this trip. Celebrating our 30th anniverary.

We have decided to go first class because of the long flights from Detroit. DTW-ORG-HNL ----- HNL-LAX-DFW-DTW

Does any one know what the best seats are in first class? Are they the first set of seats or the last? Or does it even matter? Never flown first class anywhere before.