We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

I'm planning a trip to Maui very soon, so need to know how to get around without a car. Also where is the best part of the island to be based - I like being near the beach..so I can walkto places/store etc but dont need to be in the thick of things. Is april/May a good time to visit?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,100 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

Without a car you will spend a lot to shuttle to your lodging and many hours trying to work the limited bus system.

The only area that really offers you easy walking access would be Kaanapali and to some degree Lahaina.

Pluto Highlands
Level Contributor
168 posts
2. Re: Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

I would research Kihei also. many restaurants, stores/supermarkets, and beaches are easily accessible by foot. you will find activities and the boat ramp with possibilities for off shore excursions.

bicycle rentals here are 14 and 18 dollars and the bus runs hourly at 2 dollars a ride.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,052 posts
109 reviews
3. Re: Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

If you are dead set against driving on the "right" side of the road, you should consider Ka'anapali area for the reason mamma mentions.

Maui does indeed have a bus system, but it is time consuming. You pay 2.00 each time you get on, or 4.00 for a day pass. But the bus does not go up Haleakala, and it doesn't go to Hana. It goes to the airport, but you are not allowed any luggage unless you can hold it on your lap.

May is a wonderful time to visit. The flowers are blooming, and it is quieter. May has Lei Day, the Maui Onion Festival, and the Seabury Hall Craft Fair, the day before Mother's Day. It is quieter in Maui then too.

There are transfer companies to get you from the airport to your condo/hotel, but by the time you pay that twice, you could pay for a rental car for the week. And you will be delighted at the cost of petrol in Maui compared to home! Is there no one in your group comfortable with driving?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,717 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

Kaanapali is a resort community in west Maui. You can get a place there and never have to leave the area.

Kihei is a beach town. If you stay in the town proper, you can do the same thing. Plenty of restaurants, shops and beaches all within a few blocks of each other.

The thing about Maui is it's to be explored, can't do that without a car unless you spend mega bucks for tours.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

If you stay in Kaanapali, it will cost a pretty penny to get to/from the airport. If you wanted to see Hana, you could book a tour with Valley Isle Excursions. They pick you up and drop you off at your resort. You can also do snorkeling on a tour or from the beach. Some places have a shuttle that take you to Lahaina and a cab ride to/from Lahaina isn't too expensive. There are also many restaurants within walking distance of Kaanapali resorts.

You could also do Kihei, but it's not laid out quite as nice as it's an older beach town. Lots of fun, typically less expensive. You can take taxis to Wailea for some nice dinners or you can walk around Kihei (not quite as easy to walk around in Kihei, but still very doable) to go to different restaurants or grocery stores. You could still do the Valley Isle tour to Hana, but you will be limited on places to snorkel.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,893 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

I always shake my head ... Maui without a car. Sigh! Ka'anapali would be the best area. Very walkable, especially south of Black Rock. I think that is your only "reasonable" option. You'll be paying a fortune for airport shuttles and tours. Maui is a gorgeous Island - and you will want the flexibility and spontaneity to explore it. I would hate to be confined to any of the resorts - as nice as they are. I fear you'll go to Maui and not see Maui.

I kinda understand why visitors don't like to drive in Honolulu ... but Maui is a different story.

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali Resort Area.

kaanapaliresort.com/About/resortMap.aspx

p a
unict
Level Contributor
369 posts
7. Re: Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

Have you conclusively determined not to rent a car? There's a long thread by Aussies with rental tips which might help you.

Have you considered staying on Oahu instead?

How long will you be on Maui? Are you visiting any other island(s)?

OK, now to answer your questions.

1. See this site for bus maps and rules: co.maui.hi.us

2. I prefer the Kaanapali area to Lahaina or Kihei, although I would consider Kihei if there were strict budget issues. I enjoy staying in Lahaina for shorter stays.

There are also a lot of condos north of Kaanapali.

3. April and May are lovely. Those aren't the busiest months, so travel and lodging is often less expensive. Easter is March 31 this year, so I would wait until a bit later in April.

Pack very lightly if you plan to use the buses to go to your hotel/condo. You don't need a lot of clothes anyway for HI.

Make sure your arrival/departure times are compatible with the bus schedules.

Do find a way to see the Road to Hana, whether renting a car for a day or taking a tour.

Check for last minute rental discounts at the condo agencies.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
8. Re: Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

Posible but not ideal

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,590 posts
9. Re: Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

Maui without a car! LOL It's like Sonny without Cher.

"I've got you babe!" GET IT? Else you will be a guy/gal hanging in the resort lobby.

Maybe that works for you. Who knows!

10. Re: Maui- how to get around the island without a car????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 22, 2014