We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stand up Paddleboarding - Lessons or not?

Calgary
Level Contributor
134 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Stand up Paddleboarding - Lessons or not?

This trip, DH wants to do some stand-up paddleboarding.

I contacted a couple of companies with some questions and one of them responded that they don't believe lessons are necessary, but would send someone out paddling with you if you wish (for a charge of course).

Question is - are SUP lessons necessary? DH used to surf in his younger years, but that was over 30 years ago - he hasn't been on a board of any kind since then, so he's a bit unsure about doing this without lessons.

We're staying in Wailea, so would renting/lessons/whatever with someone in south Maui.

Lessons? or not?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,225 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stand up Paddleboarding - Lessons or not?

I certainly suggest taking lessons if you are new to the sport. The boards and paddles are different from those for surfing and canoeing. I've been told it's harder than it looks and from watching tons of visitors trying this, I tend to agree!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stand up Paddleboarding - Lessons or not?

We visited Maui with our daughter and her BF(25 & 27) this fall and they wanted to rent SUP boards......minimal experience. I was nervous, BUT it was absolutely fine! They rented them from the Mana Kai Resort in South Kihei. There is a Surf Shack inside and for $45 per board they got four hours. All you do is walk outside the resort to gorgeous Keawakupu Beach and there will be all sorts of folks learning how to SUP in that beach. They didn't need lessons but there might be others that disagree. I watched them the entire time and they learned just fine all by themselves.they didn't float out to sea accidentally either (a small fear I had that they thought was irrational!).

Our kiddos were cruising along like experts in no time at all. Our daughter even got her dad up on a board (57) and he did ok. He says he was nervous and a cool guy his age from France held onto his board for fifteen minutes so he could get a handle on the balance. Does he want to do it again? Not really. But I am hoping to do it with a TA buddy when we are on island together next fall. We are older gals who want to have fun!

Part of my anxiety was how to transport the boards to the beach and using the Surf Shack made it all so very easy. It was one of the funnest things the kids did and they saw two huge turtles the second time they rented the boards. Have fun!!!Deb

P.S. The calmness of the beach made everything much easier!

Edited: 3:15 pm, February 07, 2013
Montana
Level Contributor
86 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stand up Paddleboarding - Lessons or not?

First - let me be up front. I've done this on a lake with some chop but have not tried it yet in Hawaii. It is harder than it looks. The balance thing takes some getting used to but I was able to maneuver just fine and it was a blast. You will have to remind yourself to relax your feet periodically - I found I was trying to grip the board with my toes. The weather can make a big difference - I'd look for a fairly calm time to go.

Would lessons help with any of that - not really. If you have good weather and have the strength and balance to do it - you'll be fine.

Lake Arrowhead...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stand up Paddleboarding - Lessons or not?

Aloha,

Do the lesson. I am 58, standup paddler for 4+ years. The lesson will cut the learning curve down to almost zero and crank up the enjoyment factor 100 fold. #1 bit advice, just like in life... keep your head up and look to where you're going. On day 2, rent a board and you'll be amazed at what your body and muscles recall and how much easier it is. That's the time you'll glide along and can look down and see all the reefs and Maui has to offer. Warning! Extremely Addictive, can change your life (for the better) if you give it a chance.

Calgary
Level Contributor
134 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stand up Paddleboarding - Lessons or not?

Thanks for the advice - it's much appreciated. DH is leaning towards doing the lesson. I'm not doing this because I have terrible balance and am not a very good swimmer. But he's all excited about it!

6. Re: Stand up Paddleboarding - Lessons or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 09, 2014