We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book airfare for July-Aug.

PA
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Topic
When to book airfare for July-Aug.

Will be in Maui for 10 days starting July 28. Will be arriving from San Diego. I keep checking airfare and it just went up from $542 to $628 round trip. Should I wait? According to the condo I booked, it's off season. I can't belive airfare will be this high in July. Thanks, Linda

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: When to book airfare for July-Aug.

I have been looking for flights for July as well. They are around $1400 for me. I have never paid that much money for airfare. I will just keep checking as there are still so many available seats. They will have some summer sales. July is a high season for Maui for families not an off season.

Edited: 3:25 pm, January 23, 2013
California
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to book airfare for July-Aug.

Don't wait any longer, it's only to go higher. Also look into flying out of LA to save some money.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,986 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to book airfare for July-Aug.

Well, is your "condo" from the mainland? LOL, don't know where you heard the summer months was a slow time because it's completely the opposite. Hawaii gets the most visitors during June, July and August. High season!! Personally I would book NOW.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,544 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to book airfare for July-Aug.

Yep - I would compare with several airlines that leave LAX as well as other spots in S CA.

As msfuzz said - it is not low season, so you will want to book pretty soon - if I am traveling during the summer, I usually am always booked by March, if not before. Reserve your car when you book your flights too. :)

Edited: 4:31 pm, January 23, 2013
PA
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: When to book airfare for July-Aug.

Yes, I have booked a condo in Kihei across from the Kam II beach. I've stayed there before during the month of Feb. and paid double what I'm paying during July and Aug. I thought airfare would be cheaper also during the summer months.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,544 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to book airfare for July-Aug.

If you changed your dates by a few days, you could save some $$ on Alaska . . . they have it for about $589 RT from SD. Good luck! :)

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to book airfare for July-Aug.

Nope they know the kids are out of school and families will be traveling so the airlines jack up the fares then.

In my research for our trip in june I found that most condo rates are cheaper in the summer normally wouldn't pick that time to go but our daughter is going with us and she is a teacher so has to be in the summer.

We are flying from here NC to SFO using a companion fare on Delta and from SFO to Maui I had enough Hawaiian Air miles for one leg for the three of us at 17,500 each which is good only paid $940 total for the other leg for us 3. Glad I booked back in sept. cause now they are 25 or 30,000. Airfare to Hawaii is outrageous from the east coast this was the only feasible way we could do it in the summer.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to book airfare for July-Aug.

Generally, airfares from the west coast have stayed high until April. For our trip in early August a year or two ago, I watched prices constantly. The first dip came in April, went up again and then dropped for a very short period in May. Then back up again.

Might try a couple of things; definately check flying out of LAX if possible. See if you can fly on a Wednesday. Attempt to book air/car together via the airline website as a package.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to book airfare for July-Aug.

We are booked for our July visit. Booked in December 2012. Had great flights.

Yesterday, United notified us about a schedule change. From Maui, we are going to Palm Desert. Our flight from Palm Desert, Palm Springs airport was changed. Not acceptable to us. After a call to United, not a long wait, we re did out ticket and now leaving fron Newark and returning there. Actually better flights and less wait time.

No doubt times will change again. Thanks Unitec

Edited: 5:30 pm, January 23, 2013
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: When to book airfare for July-Aug.

as someone who compulsively watches air fare and car rental rates, I have to strongly agree with nesdog that there will be dips and rises to come. very likely more than once between now and the end of may. We've been fortunate to get 2 tickets for 17,500 miles per leg, direct from SEA on HA, 3 years in a row for the mid to late Aug time. That of mile rate corresponds to a low price - probably around $450 per rt ticket.

While summer is definitely peak, I do think there are slight difference in when one goes in summer. I don't see lower rates in mid to late June when kids are just out of school, but do see drops in rates later.

On the other hand, condos that I'm interested in, book up a year in advance, or earlier for Jan - March. No so for summer.

Edited: 5:48 pm, January 23, 2013