We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui or Big Island?

Philadelphia, PA
6 posts
Save Topic
Maui or Big Island?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in late June / early July with our 2 kids (14 yo girl, 16 yo boy). We are likely going to have 10-12 nights on vacation. We have narrowed it down to two islands, Maui and the Big Island. We are all interested in adventure (hiking, biking), a bit of relaxation/beaches, tasty food, scenic drives, and at least one resort to stay at. Should we go to Maui or Big Island, or somehow combine the two?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Maui or Big Island?

Perfect timing of this post. I'm in a similar situation of choosing between Maui and the Big Island. Spent a week in Maui last June with the family and had an amazing time. I want to go back to Maui for more of the same but part of me says there's more Hawaii to see other than Maui.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Maui or Big Island?

MAUI-- and read the book Maui Revealed! It's the best!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,602 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Maui or Big Island?

Those are good ages to bring kids to the Big Island. There is a lot to do, the snorkeling is better here than anywhere else in Hawaii, the manta ray night snorkel is unique in the world, Volcanoes National Park is awesome and at least right now the hike to the surface lava flows are doable for teens in decent shape, or you could take a helicopter tour. On the cultural side, we have many heaius and historical parks that even kids are usually interested in (a shark heiau, sacrifice stone, petroglyphs, and other cool stuff). June and July are absolutely stellar conditions for the beaches and snorkeling on the Kohala Coast. With 10-12 days, you can easily split your time between the west and the east sides of the island and have a comfortably paced vacation.

Edited: 8:01 pm, January 31, 2013
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Maui or Big Island?

Big Island beaches are at their best this time of year, being west facing.

South Maui beaches will get some south swells.

Maui is busier, more traffic, more commercialized, more tourist-oriented.

If you want touristy, pick Maui. If you need a lot of foodie places, Maui. If you want any kind of "scene" -- Maui.

If you prefer less crowded, pick Big Island (and book some time on the east side).

Please do not buy Maui Revealed. You will be disliked for carrying it, and it gives bad advice. (only saying because someone recommended it, just run a search by name if you are curious what the issue is).

My first trip to the Big Island was 15 days, and I didn't see a quarter of the interesting stuff, so your time allotment is hardly too long.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Maui or Big Island?

You can rent a beautiful 2-3 bedroom condo with granite countertops SS appliances, 1500-2000 sq ft, nice pool, close to great beaches, newer than anything comparable on Maui for under your budget at Mauna Lani on Hawaii.

We have been coming to HI almost yearly since 1976. We started before we had kids, kept going while our kids were growing and still as they are adults. We have been to Maui many times, but the Big Island is our favorite by far. It has everything the other islands offer but the cost and friendliness of the people make it a no brainer for this family.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,602 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Maui or Big Island?

Karen, I love that you've become such a great ambassador for Hawaii Island. It really is special, isn't it?

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Maui or Big Island?

It's so hard to explain how Hawaii Island makes my heart burst!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Maui or Big Island?

:)

I know what you mean, Karen.

Mumbai (Bombay...
10 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Maui or Big Island?

its good to visit island, but have to choose places to visit according to our preferences, with considering the children's like and interest with their safety.

Island of Hawaii really romantic place.

Edited: 11:56 pm, January 31, 2013
South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Maui or Big Island?

There are no widebody nonstops from PHL-HNL and the OP has already narrowed down the choices. On one hand they are being questioned on whether they did their homework, on the other their decisions are being dismissed.

I did a 10 night trip to Oahu and the Big Island and I can tell you six nights on the Big Island were not enough for us. We were fine driving to VNP from the Hilton Waikaloa Village as a day trip but we like long drives. So I wouldn't necessarily advise splitting your trip between Islands, especially without a lockjaw, we were tired trekking luggage and airports at the end of the trip.

Looking forward to 7 nights in Maui, split between West and South in May.