We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Restaurants on Maui?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,854 posts
422 reviews
Save Topic
Best Restaurants on Maui?

Maui lacks an "Amberloo and Food" like topic in the "Top Questions About Maui Section. Maybe we can get one going??

Here are my top picks. I am sure I am forgetting some places (a lot actually), but what are yours?

In West Maui, any of the TS Restaurants (Duke's, Kimo's, Leilani's or Hula Grill) solid food, good locations and Hula Pie.

Merriman's (Kapalua): one of my two favorite high end places in West Maui.

Plantation House (Kapalua): my actual favorite West Maui restaurant. A very different perspective from being down on the ocean and very good food.

Roy's (Ka’anapali): like Roy's every place, very good food and very good service.

Lahaina Grill (Lahaina): superb, fresh ingredients, well prepared.

Mala Ocean Tavern and Honu are both great, mid priced options and Betty's Beach Cafe is fun and a nice location.

Gerard's (Lahaina) has great French food and seafood.

For good, reasonable food look also look at The Gazebo at the Napili Shores for breakfasts, but get there early or you wait, if the line is too long walk across the beach to the Sea House at Napili Kai; Mama's Ribs & Rotisserie in Napili Plaza, also in Napili Plaza is Maui Tacos. Then you have the Fish Market Maui and Honokawai Okazuya.

In Ka'anapali CJ's Diner is a good family spot and reasonable. Whaler's Village also has a nice food court when you want something quick and easy for the kids.

In Lahaina there is the Sunrise Café, Pioneer Inn, Star Noodle, Local Food and Nagasako Okazuya.

For South Maui, on the high end you have DUO, Ferraro, Joe's Bar & Grill, Nick's Fishmarket, Monkeypod Kitchen, Amasia, Spago and Hali'imaile General Store.

For more reasonable South Maui places to eat breakfast and lunch, look at Peggy Sue’s (Kihei), Stella Blues, Da Kitchen, Cheeseburger Island Style, Mulligan's on the Blue, Lulu's, South Shore Tiki Lounge, Joy's Place, Moose McGillycuddy's and Fred’s Mexican Cafe.

For moderate prices, look at Tommy Bahama's Coconuts Fish Cafe, Cafe O'Lei, Eskimo Candy, Cuatro and the 808 Bistro.

If you are near Kahului, Da Kitchen, Sam Sato's and for baked goods Home Maid Bakery, T. Komoda Store & Bakery and Stillwell's.

I would be remiss yo not mention Mama's Fish House in Paia. I like Mama's, but it isn't my favorite. I think they charge too much for the setting and I don't find the food terribly creative, but it is good tasting. Just be prepared for a hefty bill.

Okay.... so let's hear from the rest of y'all.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Restaurants on Maui?

Lulu's in south Maui has closed down. Buzz's Warf in Maalaea is one of my favorites.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Restaurants on Maui?

We enjoyed the happy hour pupus at Five Palms and their smoothies were great. Located in Mana Kai Resort on the south end of Kihei. In Kahului, The Four Sisters Bakery on Vineyard Street is amazing! Very friendly service. Fabiani's in Lipoa Street in Kihei has great homemade food and their desserts are decadent. Low-key feel and comfy atmosphere. Deb

Edited: 12:34 pm, January 03, 2013
California
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Restaurants on Maui?

Last fall, we discovered CJ Diner. It was recommended by one of the tour drivers. Very good value, quality and quanity.

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Restaurants on Maui?

Great post Scott!! Would also like to see what everyone's TOP Restaurant overall, so if someone asked you "If I only had one meal in maui where should I go"

We have been to Monkeypod, Japengo's, Flatbread Company, Maui brewing co, Star noodle Twice, Lahaina Grill twice, Ululani's 6-8 times

Star Noodle, Lahaina Grill being my 2 favorite, thinking about trying Merriman's

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Restaurants on Maui?

I like the fish tacos at Milagros in Paia ... and their Fish Burger.

Looks like Paia is missing here ... they have the Flatbread Pizza Co and Paia Fish Market as well ... and likely others I am missing.

Haliimaile General Store is upcountry ... as is Komoda Bakery (for pastries). I understand a Cafe O' Lei has also gone in the old Makawao Steakhouse location.

Also in Ma'alaea ... the Waterfront Restaurant.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Restaurants on Maui?

What about the hot dogs and pizza at Costco Kahului?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,474 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Restaurants on Maui?

Aloha,

Actually, Cafe O Lei owns Makawao Steakhouse-true-but they kept the name and much of the menu.

I would add Bistro Casanova and Cafe O Lei at the Dunes to the Kahului list, and Koho's for casual food (at the mall). Also the Class Act restaurant at UH Maui. The old Cafe O Lei spot in Wailuku is now the Old Wailuku Grill, it is run by a former well known caterer (and also the original chefs for Cafe O Lei). Molly is great and her food is too. Don't forget Jennifer's place, A Saigon Cafe, also in Wailuku.

Just outside Wailuku, in Waikapu, Cafe 808 reopened, and the restaurant at Kahili Golf Course is good.

On the West side, Iron Imu took over the Cafe O Lei space at Napili Shores, dinner only. I've not been yet but have had their BBQ before, it's very good.

Stay AWAY from RB Steakhouse in Kahana.

Do try the new Kahana Grill, in Kahana (the old Roy's location). Some good food and prices for happy hour, I think dinner's pricey though.

The Waterfront............oh, Konagirl, ya' had to make me start drooling, LOL!!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Restaurants on Maui?

We're staying in Kahului the first night we arrive, due to a lonnnnng series of flights taking over 24 hours, and then staying at Kaanapali Shores. My wife wanted to have lunch at Mama's the first day, since we enjoyed it for dinner 9 years ago. Which of the above would have the best atmosphere and best fresh fish (no shellfish-- she's allergic) for either lunch or dinner, as an alternatie to Mama's? Menu at Duke's sounds good, but looks likeit may not have much of a view.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Restaurants on Maui?

SW, thanks for the info about Makawao Steak House ... friends just mentioned to me that Cafe O Lei had taken over and I assumed it was a cafe o lei...

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Restaurants on Maui?

Lots of good choices in the previous posts. We always include a meal at the Kula Lodge on our visits.