We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
480 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

Just checked my flight. It has gone up over $200 since I booked it last month. It is getting crazy!!!! I

Parma Heights, Ohio
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

yours went up, mine went down on Northwest. Almost $200 a person.

Coldwater, MI
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

Wow! You are right. I just checked ours and they went up $100!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

Rule of thumb- just look at the price of a barrel of oil. If it goes up, so will airfares.

Better rule, buy your tickets at what you consider a fair price then stop looking....spend the time planning the rest of your trip.

Lake Tahoe
Level Contributor
301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

Bill is right...the tracks have been laid...no need to put oneself thru the mental anguish...

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

I am not seeing this. I travel between OGG and the mainland often and all I am seing is the usual sumer / high season rate bumps. I bought tickets to LAX or June just yesterday and paid $403+taxes, which is about the same as I paid for the same time last year. The closer you get to your date, usually the fares get higher, and summer is always a bit higher. I am actually quite surprised at the lack of fare increase relative the cost of oil.

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
480 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

Maybe it is just San Diego. I booked last month nonstop to OGG at $650 pp and today on Aloha Airlines it is $865 pp on the same flights July 15th and coming back July 22nd.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

In my experience an airline will offer a limited number of seats at the lower fare. As those fares sell out, only the higher priced seats are left, so it seems like the fare is rising as you get closer to the departure date. Rarely, to some markets, you can find last minute fare bargains. I sometimes find last minute clearance fares on ATA. they had one for last weekend from LAX - OGG for $254, but you had to depart on Sat and return on Tues only for that fare. When I have to fly last minute I usually do quite well buying tickets from a consolidator.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

If you check flights from SAN to OGG in Aug, you will find fares as low as $353 RT on Hawaiian. Go to travel.yahoo.com and use the "My dates are flexible feature." ATA has fares for under $500 for July. I suspect that your flight is so high now because it is nearly fully booked.

Mentioned in this post
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

As my frequent flyer brother-in-law once told me, an airplane may be the only place where the person to your left paid $500 more than you and the person to your right $500 less for the same experience.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
480 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Watch out air fare going up fast!!!!

Kaiwahine

I see what you are saying. Not bad if you have no kids and tough schedules.

The problem is finding time with busy kids schedules (work and school) and when your timeshare is available. Nost are saturday to saturday. Those cheeper flights are during the week.