We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do We Really Need A Car?

chicago
3 posts
Save Topic
Do We Really Need A Car?

My husband, 16 month old and I will be staying at the Wailea Marriott 2.13.-2.20.05. All of the comments that we have read swear by the fact that a rental car is a must. We anticipate that the daily cost for the rental, gas, car seat and gas alone will average about $100/day, which is out of our budget, so we are exploring the option of renting a car for a portion (2-3 days) of our stay. Round trip transfers are included in our package so arrival and departure will not be an issue with respect to ground transport. It would be helpful to know if there are any local agencies which we could use vs the agencies at/near the airport. Has anyone reading done this?

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do We Really Need A Car?

We have always rented from Alamo. 100 dollars a day is a LOT! Is the price of the car seat extremely high? We have never come close to this amount, but also have never rented a car seat.

If you have a good idea of what you want to do on Maui, then just rent for the days that you need the car. I know that all of the car rental companies are at the airport. Other than that, you will have to call each of them to see if they have a location where you will be staying. (Alamo, Budget, Dollar, National, Hertz, Avis) Whenever we travel, I shop prices for car rentals, and Alamo always has the best prices. Also, check with your car insurance company at home to see if a rental car is covered for mishaps. If you are covered, DO NOT take the insurance at the rental counter.

minneapolis
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do We Really Need A Car?

i have been to maui twice. and my cost for a rental were no where close to 100.00 per day. i have used alamo both times. for a week, a compact was 200.00 it was an oldsmobile olero or something like that. good 2 door with lots of room. if you rent a car seat, i dont know what they cost. but go to walmart by the airport and by one that is less expensive for 80-100 dollars if the rent for one is more than that.. gas is high yes, but the car gets good gas mileage. your car insurance should cover you there. just call your agent to confirm. have fun.

we drove alot of miles also and saw many sights.

WAIT!! i just went on line to alamo and you can get a 4 door chev cavalier with tax, for your entire stay for 165.35 and a car seat is 8.00 per day extra. this is unlimited miles also.

i just added your seat and with all taxes included it is 212.75

aloha from Minnesota!!

chicago
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do We Really Need A Car?

Thanks for the advice Patti. $100/day is a lot. We came up with that daily estimate based on the type of vehicle we want (convertible or jeep), car seat rental ($10 - $20) and gas ($2.50+/gallon). I will be calling the rental agencies today to find out if they have other locations where we can pick up/drop off.

chicago
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do We Really Need A Car?

wow rturg! that is great information and how considerate of you to look into this for us! it seems that Alamo is the place to go. my husband just told me that we should contact the airline to find out if they have loaner car seats available at the airport. if they do, there will be an additional savings. ok, i'm going to alamo's website.

minneapolis
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do We Really Need A Car?

jeep wrangler same time frame with car seat is 318.62 from alamo

a seebring convertivle is 396.32 with the same time frame and car seat.

besides going to people who rent outside the airport and are not national car rental places, i have found alamo to be close to the best price. they are a very short shuttle ride from the airport. and the shuttle is free.

omaha
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do We Really Need A Car?

just got back from maui about 2 weeks ago and spent 278 for 12 days at alamo for a mid size that included all taxes and fees. i was a little bent out of shape when they wanted to charge me 7.00 a day to have my wife be a driver also. i think most car rentals let the spouse drive free. dont know what they rent a carseat for but if they want two much go to cosco and buy one for 60 dollars. cosco is a short mile from the airport! usually if you order over the internet with one of the discount companys(orbitz priceline cheap tickets ect) you get a cheaper deal. they usually wont tell you tell you sign up which car company but its aways one of the main ones alamo, dollar ,budget avis, ect! i think my price before taxes was 15 a day!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do We Really Need A Car?

I believe all of the car companies ask about a second driver....we never sign up for it. Seems like it's their way of making a bit more money.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do We Really Need A Car?

Dionnam....Definitely rent a car. My advise is bring your own car seat with you. You can check it on the airplane either as luggage or carry it on and check it at the gate. The cost of renting a car seat in Maui is $8.00 a day, at least it was through Dollar car rental. $100.00 for the car can get you the entire week. As far as gas you really do not use a lot unless you drive to Hana or up to the crater.

omaha
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do We Really Need A Car?

patty 2004 your right all car companies ask about the second driver but most will let the spouse drive at no addl charge. check with budjet and national. Its the spouse i was refering too!