We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

Truckee, California
1 post
Save Topic
Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

We are pretty experienced paddleboarders; live on Lake Tahoe and paddle there weekly during the summer. Where are good places to stay on Maui for paddle boarding -- we're more interested in paddling touring along the coast line rather than paddle surfing. We also prefer places that are a little out of the way rather than right in the middle of things.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

Paddling on Maui is pretty different than Tahoe. They both get can get windy but Maui will generally have larger swells to contend with. There are a few runs that are fun. Lots of downwinding along the coasts but it requires prep (need a car to pick you up). The Maliko Run is a fairly famous run for downwinding.

Otherwise I recommend renting a board from one of the local shops and going out for a paddle in the morning before the winds pickup.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

When will you be coming to Maui? If summer, I'd stay in the west area, Kaanapali, Kahana, Napili. The south swells hitting the south shore doesn't make for good SUP.

In winter I'd stay south, Kihei, Wailea, Makena. During the shoulder months it doesn't matter.

On the south shore our local friends put in on the North part of South Kihei around the Whale Sancutary and paddle south. They see all kinds of beautiful sealife, including rays, while SUPing this area.

Do go early before the trade winds kick up. That's true in both areas. They are usually back in before 9:30 or 10.

Edited: 9:32 am, August 08, 2012
San Diego...
Level Contributor
803 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

There were a bunch of people paddle boarding Napili Bay last year while I was there. Seemed many started in the morning when there were calm waters. Not sure where you'd get a paddle and board though...

If anyone else knows where to rent paddleboard equip. near Napili Bay could you chime in? Probably want to do that at some point on our trip...

Kihei, Hawaii
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

The best place to paddle board on Maui is in Makena at the Makena Landing. This is the south side, and yes, it can be windy, but this location you can drive right to the water, unload your boards, and get right out to where the whales are frolicking from October to April. We love Makena Landing, as there are lots of turtles to see, We have even Kayaked around the island of Molokini, which is right off Makena Landing. When we got to Molokini, we snorkeled around. It was wonderful. Paddling at Makena Landing is simple, as beginners can stay in the shallow cove. More experienced paddle boarders can go way out into the deep blue. What am i doing home? I am going out there now!

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

Paddling around Molokini? It is not just off Makena Landing, it is about 2.5 miles from Makena. I don't think that's particularly good advice for people not experienced in ocean paddleboarding.

Yipes. The channel between Makena and Molokini is a place where sharks are often spotted. I wouldn't enjoy that in a kayak, far less on a paddleboard.

Edited: 3:32 pm, March 31, 2013
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,474 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

Aloha,

"Yoga", please don't resurrect more old threads...........the OP in this one is long gone.

People, please don't try kayaking to Molokini or deep water paddleboarding--- unless you are very experienced. We have had way too many rescues this last couple of months, many due to following bad advice like "Yoga" gave.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

Does anyone remember the kayaking couple that had to be rescued by a snorkel boat off of Molokini because a large shark was following them?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

if you like to sweep and mop you can always apply for housekeeping positions at any resorts human resource offices

9. Re: Best Place to Paddleboard on Maui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 03, 2014