We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Luau?

new jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Best Luau?

What Luau has the best food and service for drinks? I read OLL is good but I wanted to see a fire dance too. Is the Hyatt or Feast of lele better? Or should i just forget the fire dance and see OLL? We can only afford to go to one. We want to go on a dinner sunset cruise too...any suggestions? We will be going in Nov on a honeymoon. I read alot of these Luaus are kid friendy and more geared towards kids...so what one is geared more for adults?

Hawaii
7 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Luau?

Yes, eat slow and order dessert, drink coffee. Don't worry, you can stay till the luau is over...we do it all the time.

By the way, act surprise when you are seated. Say something like, "What's going on? You mean there's a luau show? The waiter or waitress will be accommodating with answers.

new jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Luau?

thanks for the info. I will act shocked. i heard Pacifico is near there too, can you see the luau from there too? I heard that food is good too.

what about golf do u know anything about the one near the Hyatt being closed in Nov?

How far is the Mamas fish house in Paia from Hyatt(thats where we are staying) i heard that was good.

How far of a drive is Halekalya volcano? I am wondering if we leave at 3am we will get there too early for sunrise? What time is sunrise for Nov anyway? How long should we plan to do the volcano and sites there? I am trying to plan dinner after.

Also how far is Nicks fish house from Hyatt? is on on the way back from Halekalya or road to hana? or is it totally out of the way. I was thinking we could stop there one of the days we are out venturing the island if its close. thanks so much for all your info.

I see you are new to the boards so I thank you for all your info and for joining!

Do you know of any helicopter tours in Kauai that are good for the money?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,068 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Luau?

lu'au. n. 1)Young taro tops. 2) Hawaiian feast named for the taro tops always served at one; this is not an ancient name but goes back at least to 1856, when so used by the Pacific Commercial Advertiser; formerly a feast was pa'ina or 'aha'aina.

From the Hawaiian Dictionary, Pukui and Elbert

Lu'au has certainly entered the vernacular as a name for the Hawaiian feast and hula show typically offered at many venues in the islands.

Lahaina, while not being the original name of the area, is at this point completely accepted by 99% of the people who have reason to refer to the town as such. In any case, what difference does it make to the name of the OLL? Does Kimo still own Kimo's? Do you ever see Bubba Gump at "his" restaurant. The objection is a little silly, IMHO.

Tavita, you seem more than a little down on OLL. Is there any particular reason you'd care to share with us?

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Luau?

I am from here too, and I am also Hawaiian, but let me present a different perspective.

I have seen the Feast at Lele from Hecocks and I have seen it as a paying guest. There is little comparison, really. You might spend half as much eating at Hecocks but it just not the same as being there. The food at Hecock's is average, while the meal at the Feast is an exotic experience. At Hecock's you have to contend with dining room distraction while at the Feast your servers are part of the show.

If you are on a budget and just want to be able to have seen the dancing, then eat at Hecocks, or better yet, find a festival or afternoon hula show and see some real Hawaiian hula. But if you are on that "vacation of a lifetime," treat yourself accordingly.

Hawaii
7 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Luau?

I have nothing against OLL except it calls itself "the most authentic Hawaiian luau." Should not the name of the luau be authentic? Call it what it is, not what it is not. While "99%" of people who come to Hawaii accept these terms as legitimate, it offends me as a Hawaiian to know my language is used in an ill manner. And as far as Kimos and Bubba Gumps, they do not label themselves as the most authentic whatever. You are comparing apples to oranges in the comparison. Obviously you are not Hawaiian. And if you are a Hawaiian shame on you, and second, learn your culture before someone else dictates your language and identity.

As for the "experience in a lifetime," guess what -they'll serve your food to you at Hecocks just like they do at the Feast of Lele. I'm a basket weaver in West Maui and have heard from many hotel guests about the high prices of a luau. As a Hawaiian it shames me to think tourists are being financially swindled at these luaus. And guess what, it's not being done by the Hawaiian. Shame, shame, shame.

Hawaii is a great place to visit. It is the home of my ancestors and everyone is welcomed. But beware of those who would make your "experience" a financial trap. Because when you go home and check that Visa or Master Card bill, you'll understand that money is what makes Hawaii green.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Luau?

Tavita, where you wen grad? You don't know Robert Aquiar, yeah? You don't approve of the ho`omanao program at OLL? Sad that you disparage the one group that is actually presenting hawaiian culture to visitors and kama`aina alike. Real Hawaiian culture.

And no one forces visitors to spend any money, but if they are going to spend money on a lu`au, isn't better that they attend one the presents Hawiian hula instead of a chesy Polynesian review?

And as far as "lu`au" is concerned, you never go to lu`au at church, baby lu`au, what about the Hana Aloha Festival lu`au?

new jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best Luau?

tavista: sorry this guy is bugging you. can u read my earlier questions and answer them if you know the answer? i am thankful for you suggestions...

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,068 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best Luau?

Ho'o malie, tavita. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Hawaii
7 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Best Luau?

ilovelost, Haleakala volcano is an hour and a half from the Hyatt. It gets cold in the early morning so wear warm clothing. You'll have to pony up $10 because it is a National Park. However, keep the receipt because it is good for seven days and it gets you into the Seven Sacred Pool (Oheo Gulch). Don't lose the receipt.

I think the Kaanapali Golf course is open. I thought I saw guys playing the other day as I drove on Hwy. 30. Price to play Kaanapali ranges from $150-$200+ a round. You might want to check the King Kamehameha Golf course (formerly called Sandalwood). Cost is around $25-$50 but you may have to play the front nine twice because they are working on the back nine. Great course but gusty. It is located between east and west Maui, also known as the vortex.

Mama's Fishouse is two miles past Paia. Pricey -you will spend between $25-$35 for lunch and you won't get that much to eat. Of course, them most expensive the food the less you get. Plus, it is valet parking so you'll have to cough up more money. Drive from Hyatt to Mama's -hour.

If you plan on going to Hana, go counter clockwise. Lots of people are going clockwise which makes it difficult to drive through 600 curves and 52 bridges. Just like traffic, stop and go if you're behind 15-20 cars. Plus, you'll keep your eye on the road most of the time instead of the views. If you go counter clockwise (up Haleakala then south on 37) you'll be about 2500 above sea level. You'll have a great view of south Maui. You must stop at the Tedeschi Winery in Ulupalakua because it is the last bathroom break. Plus, enjoy the wine tasting...but not too much -drinking and driving do not mix. You'll drive around the back side of Haleakala, a place where most visitors do not see. The good road will end around mile marker 24, but don't worry, for the next 8 miles or so the road is not too bad -little bumpy but worth the drive. You may get to see the Big Island on a clear day -Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. If you plan to drive this route let me know and I'll tell you some interesting stops on the way. Be careful when you drive.

Helicopter rides will run about $300 per person on any island. Kauai is somewhat pricey but beautiful. It is called the Garden Isle. It is the rainiest spot in the world, Mt. Waialeale -700-1000 inches of rain annually. Guess what, West Maui is the second rainiest spot in the world called Mauna Kahalawai with 400-500 inches of rain.

Discover Maui -there's a lot of things that will not cost an arm and a leg...things that are real and not superficial. Drive and see, breathe the air, eat a meal at the beach, take in the sunset...these are the experiences of a lifetime.