We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui in November

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maui in November

We're thinking about heading to Maui in mid-November (9th - 17th) and was wondering what part of the island would be best weather wise. We've from Vancouver, so while we're used to the rain, we would really love to get away from it for a week!

I was also wondering what part of the island would be best for night-life? We're in our late twenties and while we are not big partiers, we would like to stay in an area where there are some bars/lounges within walking distance or a short cab ride where we can have a few drinks without worrying about having to drive home.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui in November

You have a choice of two areas. One would be south Maui, Kihei in particular which meets your criteria or Kaanapali in west Maui which also meets your criteria. What is your nightly lodging budget?

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui in November

We've got some wiggle room, but ideally we'd like to keep it around $100/night or less. We're most interested in condo-style lodging so we can cook some of our own meals, etc. to save on costs.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui in November

Yikes - better start wiggling :-) When you figure in the 13.4% tax that the State requires you're really looking at $90. There's a Days Inn in S. Kihei where you might find something in that range, but the room will be tiny and beat up. If you are wanting a decent condo you're going to have to increase your nightly budget quite a bit.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,982 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui in November

For that budget, look at Kihei, across the street from the Kam 1, 2 and 3 beaches. There are condos that will be that price range, but they won't be updated ones, or ones with a view. It depends on what your needs are, how long you want to spend in the condo each day, or are you just looking for a place to lay your head at night. Check our vrbo. Condos in Kihei tend to have free parking at least, no resort fees, no maid service. That will save you some money right there. But if you want a NICE place, then yes, you need to up your budget.

p.s. Lotto Max is 50 million tomorrow... have you got your ticket???? ;o)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui in November

With that budget look in Kihei or even Maalaea. Even if you upped to 150.00 you will do better.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,841 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui in November

Umm ... that's really low ...

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui in November

Thanks for all your help!

I should have been more specific... I wasn't sure exactly what you meant by accomodation budget! What I meant was I don't want to pay much more than $100/night as a base rate, because I know once you add the taxes, resort fees and parking it can really start to add up! As a total budget per night, we would definitely like to keep it under $150.

I have started looking at condo style places in Kihei and our budget does not seem that out of line, but maybe I'm missing something? Are there some areas of Kihei that are better than others?

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui in November

And yes J0an123, I have my Lotto Max ticket!!!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,982 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui in November

Gee, that's too bad... I've already got the winning numbers! hee hee!

I think South Kihei would suit your needs. But always ask

is there a cleaning fee? (some won't charge if staying longer than five days, longer than seven days)

is there a fee for parking? (most condos in Kihei do NOT charge for parking, but make sure)

is there a resort fee? (Aston properties charge I think 10.00 a day, and I think the Banyan is doing that as well)

is there a one time booking fee? (some places charge as much as 25.00 for the pleasure of doing business with them)

do they charge extra for turning on the AC (I have only heard about this one once, so ask. A lot of places won't have AC, so if that is important to you, make sure!)

are the pictures on the website up to date?

are you going to get any unit, or a SPECIFIC unit if you book with the condo directly?

We have found that we enjoy time at the condo more now, not just as a place to lay our heads, so we like an updated place. Most of our time is spent on the lanai, so an ocean view is nice, even if it is across the street!

Have you been on vrbo yet?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui in November

Aina Nalu in Lahaina, Lahaina Shores , Lahaina

Lots of condos in Kihei

Kaanapali Ocean Inn - oceanfront kaanapali beach, might be close.