We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo with best beach?

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Topic
Condo with best beach?

We're definitely beach people! Want to hang out on the beach on a comfy chaise lounge with a big umbrella over me, and read and drink mai tais and swim! I'm excited even thinking about it!! We also don't want to be isolated though....want to do some fun activities, but still have a quiet place to come back to at night. Kaanapali sounds grand, but it doesn't look like you can just 'hang out' on the beach in a chair for hours at a time there. Or can you? And if so, where?

So, it looks like Napili has great beaches...just saw a pic of Napili Kai beach. Wow. Just my style. Here's the pic.

napilikai.com/media/…Cabana.jpg

My concern is that we;d be too isolated though. Where can you walk to from there? What is your favourite condo in a great beach area?

We're 50 and funloving, with no kids, and would like to avoid too many kids if possible. Looking for next Jan or Feb of 2013.

Edited: 9:15 pm, May 26, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,372 Reviews
Maui, HI
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo with best beach?

I forgot to mention that we want ocean front view, and a kitchenette is mandatory.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo with best beach?

We've been going to Napili Kai regularly for the past 17 years and it is indeed a special place and a very special beach. A very laid back resort that is quiet and is adjacent to the Kapalua resort area. And the life and buzz of Ka'anapali and Lahaina with their restaurants and shops is only a 10 minute drive away.

That said, Jan - Feb may bring some more overcast conditions, and you will find that during the winter season ocean conditions will generally be more calm and consistent in South Maui. Maui has a couple of dozen micro climates and often if things are overcast on one spot, a drive just a few miles down the road can change things dramatically. If you are wanting to stick with West Maui, you might also consider Maui Ka'anapali Villas on the north side of Black Rock. In South Maui check out Wailea Elua Village or Wailea Ekahi Village.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua Resort
Kapalua Resort
59 Reviews
Maui, HI
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Black Rock
Black Rock
818 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,945 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo with best beach?

You will find the weather a bit more chilly and rainy in Napili during the winter months. For more sunshine and drier weather look in south Maui. Since drinking alcohol is illegal on Maui's beaches you won't be able to take your drink off hotel or condo grounds.

January and February are prime humpback whale months. People flock to Maui during this time. Get your accommodations and rental car reservations ASAP. A lot of people reserve a year in advance during this time.

Since all beaches in Hawaii are public you can hang at any one you want for as long as you want.

Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,372 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Level Contributor
37,591 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo with best beach?

Napili has a beautiufl beach and it is close to Kapalua, Lahaina and Kaanapali, not isolated at all. We loved the scenery and tranquility of Napili Bay when we were there last June. Aloha and enjoy your time on Maui! :)

Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,372 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo with best beach?

Maui has so many great beaches -- I'm sure you can find some you'll like! You might look at condos, where beach equipment is usually provided. There will be fewer school age children when mainland schools are in session. (That said, I'd avoid the Grand Wailea, with its' kid-magnet pools.)

Winter is High Season. Mainlanders are avoiding nasty winters at home. Visitors are coming to see the whales. Some people book a year in advance. South Maui will have the calmer ocean, and it is more convenient for touring Maui's major sights. Book lodgings and your rental car fast, fast, fast!

I like this site for South Maui condos: www.mauiownercondos.com

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo with best beach?

Napili isn't all that isolated. There is not a lot of shopping in walking distance, but there are beautiful little bays on either side of Napili, each with its own personality. If you are willing to get into the car, Lahaina is only about a 20 minute drive. You will find plenty of shops and quirky historic sites wandering around the old whaling town.

Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,372 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,115 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo with best beach?

We might be more helpful if we knew your lodging budget. Do you want condo or hotel? How long can you stay?.

Edited: 3:14 pm, May 27, 2012
Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo with best beach?

After 5 trips to 5 different condos we fell in love with Keawakapu beach. Either the Mana Kai, Kihei Surfside, or Hale Hui Kai will get you oceanfront in South Maui in the winter.

Mentioned in this post
Keawakapu Beach
Keawakapu Beach
433 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo with best beach?

Definitely want condo. 300-350 per night is good...maybe even a bit more if we can get the great view. I'm starting to think that Napili is just too far north now, as we'd like to be able to walk to shops and fun events. I think MKVillas sound good as someone mentioned, because they're within walking distance of the 'strip', but the beach is less crowded at this end. i hear there is also a shuttle to Whaler's Village we can take from here. Unfortunately its difficult to find beachfront condos there. Will keep looking.. I'm really looking forward to waking up with the sound of waves crashing, and having mai tais on the lanai overlooking the ocean. I'm starting to like the sound of The Whaler more and more. i previously thought that one could not hang out on the beach there or swim, but from pics it looks like its a very good swimming beach.

I'm loving all the comments. So very helpful in deciding. Keep 'em coming.

So far i'm deciding between The Whaler or MKV...depending if we can get a nice oceanfront condo.

From what I've read from lots of other reviews, the Honua Kai is super duper windy! Will avoid that one for sure. I'd love The Kaanapalli All'i, but don't they only have 2 or 3 bdrms....and are expensive. The Mahana does not have a good swimming beach, and its too far north to be able to walk down. The Royal Lahaina is too old, and some say is quite dark and depressing. Won't risk that one either. The Westin Ocean Resort Villas sound lovely, but you can't pick your room beforehand, so that's out. Someone said the Marriot Maui Ocean Club has kitchens in the new buildings, but i don't knwo what those buildings are or how to find them. Are they good?

whew....okay, that sums up where I'm at right now.

Thanks again for all your help;

Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,372 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,115 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo with best beach?

Have you looked at the aerials and reviews here: www.wizardpub.com

I think you'd like Wailea. Are Wailea Beach Villas too expensive? How about Wailea Ekahi or Elua? Polo Beach Club? South Kihei has Hale Pau Hana.

Whenever anyone mentions 'waves crashing' I remember trying to get away from that sound at a condo on Big Island. Winter waves can really POUND. I like a little shush-shush, but when you wake up dreaming you are captive on a pirate ship... Too many 'bodice ripper' vacation novels! LOL

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI