We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When should I book my flight for the best price

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
When should I book my flight for the best price

We are planning on going to Maui on Nov 10-and fly back to Dallas on 18th. I know you can get better deals after summer is over. But I don't want to wait to long and price go back up. There will be myself/ wife /and 9 year old grandson going.All the help you can give me will be appreciated. :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When should I book my flight for the best price

It really is a hard call, and no one can really tell what the price of gas is going to do. You can sign up with the various airlines to get their e-mails for sales (I have Hawaiian Air and WestJet), but some people will tell you to buy your tickets when you are comfortable with the price. If you can afford it, and it looks good, don't hesitate... and never check again! Flying on a Tuesday is often cheaper, so if your dates are flexible still, that may help out with the cost.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,201 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When should I book my flight for the best price

You might keep an eye on the seat plans for flights you want. If they start filling up you'll need to pull the trigger.

AA fares dropped so much for our trip this past winter that we paid to re-ticket, receiving $275 vouchers pp (after paying to change, of course). The fare was $630 pp ORD-HNL, and back via DFW. Right now we have fares at $998 pp, but we also are assured of our first class upgrades and we are applying those vouchers, so it's not AS steep.

Lucky grandson, and lucky you to experience Maui through his eyes! Where are you staying?

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When should I book my flight for the best price

You can watch fares if you go to yapta dot com, and they will alert you via email if the fares change. If you fly Alaska, you can get a voucher for any amount of money (any amount of times) if the fares drop, so you can buy now and be assured that you will end up getting the cheaper seats if they come available. I have gotten various amounts back, the latest was $82 which I then applied to my outrageously priced ticket to Maui for Thanksgiving. We also had a companion fare which helped a lot. However, I registered it on yapta and am hoping that the price will drop. I believe that Trip Advisor has a similar program. If you fly American or Delta, the fare has to drop by $150 to get a voucher, don't know about Hawaiian.

I would also look at the number of seats available on your preferred flights. If not many seats left, then if it were me, I would go ahead, bite the bullet and buy. I have watched tickets we have bought with few seats left go waaaaay up after we bought (and that feels sooo good!) We got some of the last seats on our flights so not too hopeful that the fare will drop, but letting yapta watch, just in case.

4. Re: When should I book my flight for the best price

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, June 21, 2013