We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending luggage ahead to Maui

riverside,ca
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sending luggage ahead to Maui

We are going to Maui in August. There will be nine of us.We would like to send our luggage ahead of us because we are traveling with kids. Has anyone used this kind of service? If so what is the companys name and is it costly.We live in CA. Thank you!

Maui
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending luggage ahead to Maui

Have not heard about any service like that. Sometimes folks mail things USPO before they arrive. You would obviously need a local address.

Best bet, travel light, don't need much in the way of clothing. A sweatshirt if you are planning to go up to Haleakala for sunrise.

You can rent snorkle gear for cheap, cheap, no need bring.

Wernersville, PA
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending luggage ahead to Maui

We shipped my wife's wedding dress via USPS for about $40 each way including insurance. Dropped it off on Friday, caught the flight to Maui on Saturday, and although we expected to pick it up at the post office on Wednesday, it was delivered @ our villa on Tuesday. Really helped lighten the load.

Wailuku, Maui
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending luggage ahead to Maui

redheadsoccermom, where in Maui are you going to be? I know of a facility that you can send your luggage to prior to arriving (as many of those that are moving here and need an "address".) If you are interested in the place, let me know,I will give you the name/address. They are about 5 minutes from the airport, but the hours are limited so let me know. They charge per bag.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending luggage ahead to Maui

Miney, you were very, very lucky. My experience with USPO between here and mainland is sketchy. I bought a dress in CA last year for a wedding and had them Express Mail it to me. 9 days later it arrived, 3 days after the wedding! Some times I get stuff that was mailed just two days before, other times it takes forever for it to get here. If it is time sensitive I just don't use the post office!

But, sometimes when I travel I send stuff to myself at the hotel where I am staying. Normally it is waiting for me when I check in.

Wailuku, Maui
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending luggage ahead to Maui

I agree with our timing here and the USPS, I ordered something begining September that shipped from Arizona, got to California in October, still plenty time. I figured for 4 months should be plenty time for Christmas. It didn't arrive until after the 2nd week January - from California! I gave it to my friend for her birthday instead - March.

It went parcel post - something that should have taken 6-8 weeks took over 4 months. I had someone send me an envelope from Lahaina to Kahului, it took 3 weeks. (It goes to Honolulu first.....hows that for slow boat to china?)

Wernersville, PA
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending luggage ahead to Maui

Yikes - lucky I was!

I remember them saying 6 to 8 weeks if I chose parcel post, which I thought was embarrassing in the 21st century with all the internet commerce.

I wonder if UPS or Fed Express is more reliable?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sending luggage ahead to Maui

The current issue of Diversion Magazine talked about a company that picks up your luggage and gets it all the way to your destination resort without you touching it again but it's pricey. I'll look it up when I get to work.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sending luggage ahead to Maui

Sports Express and Luggagefree. Both have .com websites. Planny expensive...