We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mai Tai Question, please help

Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mai Tai Question, please help

This might be a bit off topic, however I could use some help.

Hubby and I are planning a luau in our backyard for our 1 year anniversary and am trying to make it as easy and enjoyable as possible.

I don't want to hire a bartender for our tiki bar, since I know most of the guys will end up taking turns back there.

You know how when you go to the luaus they have a mass of mai tais already made? Do you think that is something that I could duplicate at home? Could I premix the light rum and orange and then just add the dark rum toppers with a slice of pineapple and orchid before we hand them out.

I've premixed margartias for parties in the past and had them in pichers so they were easy to serve and am wondering if I can do the same with the mai tais.

Anyone tried this before or have a good idea for me?

Thanks a bunch. I guess if we can't go to Maui for our anniversary, having a little bit of Maui in our backyard will have to do.

Aloha

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,652 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mai Tai Question, please help

Never tried it but it sure sounds doable. You might want to try a practice run just to be sure. Make up 6 or so Mai Tais then spend Saturday drinking them :)

The backyard luau sounds nice. Going to dig an emu and roast a pig or just do a kahlua pig in a crock pot:

razzledazzlerecipes.com/pork-crock-pot-recip…

Make everyone wear aloha wear, put on IZ Cd's and you should be good to go.

Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mai Tai Question, please help

Hi Brighton!

We did our Hawaiian wedding last year in the back yard and it was a HUGE hit. The difference was that we had it catered and had beer and wine. This time we are going to attempt to do it on our own.

Since we are bound to have lots of keikis running around we opted to not do the IMU. Thanks for the kahlua pig recipe. I have a girlfriend who cooks it in the oven, but the crockpot sounds EASY.

We're also going to do AHI (we still have a bunch in the freezer from hubbys last fishing trip). Terriyaki Beef and Chicken and rice and potato/macaroni salad. We'll have our own version of Plate Lunch.

We'll give the Mai Tais a run this weekend and keep trying until we perfect the recipe for the party in June. That's a lot of Mai Tais between now and then.

monterey, ca
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mai Tai Question, please help

Here's a recipe for a batch of Mai Tais that I have made in the past.

1qt light rum

1qt Meyer's dark rum

1qt oj

1 large can pineapple juice(46oz)

1/2 cup grenadine syrup

1/2 cup orgeat syrup

Stir well and often as it will settle quickly. Pour over ice add a squeeze of lime and slice of pineapple and let the festivities begin. Enjoy!

Corona, CA
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mai Tai Question, please help

Alohawahine,

After our trip to Maui a couple of years ago, we did a luau for our friends as well. I did the mai tais in advance and floated the dark rum on top. I used a mai tai mix called Trader Vic's that I bought at Beverages and More. We also did the kalua pork in the oven as well as teriyaki steak. Instead of teriyaki chicken I did a volcano huli huli chicken. I used huli huli marinade that I bought at the Hilo Hattie at the Block of Orange and added some volcano hot sauce that I found there as well. I also made a guava cake out if packaged white cake mix and substituted guava juice for the water. I used guava jelly also from Hilo Hattie for the filling and white frosting with a coconut garnish.

Hope your luau goes over as well as mine did.

Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mai Tai Question, please help

mauijunkie

Thanks for the tips on the volcano huli huli chicken. Sounds yummy!

Also the guava cake sounds great too.

I was planning on taking a trip up to King's Hawaiian in Torrance and ordering a Hawaiian Paradise cake from there (they did our wedding cake last year). Three layers of chiffon cake. Each layer had a glaze that matched the flavor. Guava, Lilikoi and Lime. Oh my gosh, I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. Ha Ha.

Great ideas. Thank you

We'll probably have about 150 + who attend. We have a huge back yard and with each party we have, the list gets longer and longer. Everyone loves parties at our house, and we love to have them. Hubby built a tiki bar last year before the wedding and a palapa. We had about 250 at our wedding last year so this should be a bit more manageable.

Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mai Tai Question, please help

mauimaitai

What is orgeat syrup? About how many drinks does this recipe make? I could add the dark rum last right so it's a floater?

Corona, CA
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mai Tai Question, please help

Alohawahine,

I love that cake from King's! My former coworkers drove there from Orange to get one for my birthday.

I also have a recipe for a toasted coconut macadamia cream pie if you want a copy.

Sounds like your party will be fun. Your post has made me even more anxious for our trip in June.

Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mai Tai Question, please help

Yeah, the cake from King's is the best.

Would love to have the recipe, if you are willing to share. If you want you can email it to me at fishkisses@gmail.com

I might have to try to make coconut shrimp too! I better get a second job to pay for the party. Ha Ha.

I guess this is the next best thing for me. A little bit of Hawaii here in So. Cal But oh how I wish I was heading to Maui soon.

Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mai Tai Question, please help

mauijunkie

thanks for the recipe.

Now I just need to perfect the mai tai and find a recipe for coconut shrimp

Mahalo

Wailuku, Maui
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mai Tai Question, please help

This from a favorite link, tons of great things; if this is served at the Sheraton, it must be great! And sounds so easy. Didn't try it yet.

…about.com/od/…coconut_shrimp.htm

This is the recipe for coconut shrimp as served at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel in Waikiki, Hawaii.

INGREDIENTS:

* 24 large raw shrimp, peeled

* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

* 2 eggs slightly beaten

* 3 cups shredded coconut

* 24 - 6 inch wooden skewers

PREPARATION:

Insert one skewer in each shrimp leaving 2-3 inches of the skewer protruding..

Dredge shrimp in flour, then in eggs. Roll the shrimp through shredded coconut, covering them thoroughly.

Deep fry shrimp at about 375 F, until they are brown.

Serve with cocktail sauce to which crushed pineapple is added according to taste.

my other favorite receipe site is:

http://recipezaar.com/

many have pictures.......that make you drool. I make a habit of trying one new receipe from here each week.

yummy......have fun. Don't forget the little umbrellas :)