We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Hyatt?

I'm working on planning out my honeymoon, and I'd like some information on the Hyatt. I've read some reviews that stated that there is practically no beach at this hotel, but if you walk down five or ten minutes in either direction, you'll be fine. I'm just wondering how accurate the description of "no beach" is, as my fiance and I are not huge ocean swimmers, but more of the grab a good book and lay out by the beach types. Are there beach chairs and umbrellas to lay on at the hyatt or within walking distance? Is there a place we can go where there will be beach attendants for ordering water and such. We prefer the beach to the pool, simply because the view is so much better. Thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt?

I went on my honeymoon there in 2003. We LOVED the hotel!! The rooms were so comfy and nice and we were upgraded to a better view when we checked in. Yes, you are correct, there is NO beach. We stayed at the pool, but I thought someone said there was a beach somewhere near, but for some reason I don't think it was within walking distanc. I can't remember. But there were no attendants around the beach. The beach is very narrow and rocky. I would definatley suggest this hotel, but if beach is important, I wouldn't stay there.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt?

I went on my honeymoon there in 2003. We LOVED the hotel!! The rooms were so comfy and nice and we were upgraded to a better view when we checked in. Yes, you are correct, there is NO beach. We stayed at the pool, but I thought someone said there was a beach somewhere near, but for some reason I don't think it was within walking distanc. I can't remember. But there were no attendants around the beach. The beach is very narrow and rocky. I would definitely suggest this hotel, but if beach is important, I wouldn't stay there.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt?

Ive stayed at the Hyatt roughly 3 times in the past two years...and its not their beach that keeps me coming back. In fact, the beach seems to get worse every time I go.

Like the above poster said, I think the hyatt has the best rooms and the best grounds in kaanapali. However, the rumors about the beach are 100% true. The water is murky and the amount of room you have to lie down is small. There are no beach chairs on the beach itself, but the hyatt has a lawn area that borders the sand where you can grab a lounge chair and relax. Generally, the beach gets better the further away from the hyatt you go. Its the best around the sheraton, which is all the way at the other end of the walking path. Its a nice walk, but a little far. Id say closer to 20 minutes. Not exactly what you want to be walking every day to get to the beach seeing how you're in maui...especially if you're lugging around a beach bag and what not

Arizona
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt?

I'm suprised at the post and responses. It certainly wasn't like California beaches where the water is 1/2 mile after sand but we had no complaints.

I just got back from the Hyatt yesterday and we loved the beach at the Hyatt. Yes, it is very narrow but it was perfect because we didn't want to sit on the sand but rather we sat in the pool chairs on grass (where there were pool servers for drinks, etc.) and were steps away from the sand but more importantly the water was 10 feet from us. Because our goal was to watch the ocean we were glad the beach wasn't 30 feet deep. Every day we walked the beach and didn't miss out on a thing.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt?

You don't have to walk all the waay to teh Sheraton to get a good beach experience. You can go as far as the Westin which has a great beach in front. Don't trade the Hyatt for a hotel with a beach in front. The Hyatt is terrific. We've stayed ther 3 times. Last time we went we got a deal from the Marriott that we just couldn’t pass on and we walked down to the Hyatt to remind ourselves what a luxury hotel really looks like. As great as the Marriott was, even our kids said that we should have stayed at the Hyatt again.

PA
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt?

Just got back Saturday from a weeks stay at Hyatt. Loved it. I thought the beach thing would be a problem but we got chair at the pool and turned them toward the ocean and watched the whales and dolphins go by everyday. After the 2 shark attacks the week before I wasn't too anxious to go in the ocean. You can rent double lounge chairs w/awnings on the beach at Hyatt for $40 a day. You get a pitcher of water for that "low" price. :) You could also buy beach chairs at ABC or Costco for your stay and just give them to somebody at the end if you don't want to take them home. It's not a far walk to wider beach but the ocean has been pretty rough there.