We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to put belongings?

Tulsa, OK
10 posts
Save Topic
Where to put belongings?

My husband and I will be vacationing in Maui Aug 31-Sept 5. I'm a bit fuzzy as to where to put our belongings while swimming in the ocean. I understand you shouldn't leave items in your rental car but wouldn't it be equally as dangerous to leave items on the beach unattended? We will be staying at Penny's (in Lahaina) but will most likely drive to different beaches.

Many thanks!

Illinois
Level Contributor
952 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to put belongings?

We just bring the car keys, hotel key, one credit card and licenses and a little bit of cash. We put all in a waterproof container (it all fits) & my hubby puts it around his neck, underneath his shirt. We did get water in it once, but the car keys still worked, so no biggie.

I'm a big believer in the disposable waterproof cameras. Nobody wants to steal those! Plus, we had a big letdown after our first trip to Hawaii when we discovered (when we got our pictures developed at home) that our "real" camera had quit working. 3 weeks worth of pictures gone, including our 15th anniversary romantic dinner on the beach and pictures of us standing inches away from red, flowing lava! Thank goodness we had taken bunches of pictures with disposable cameras too--we'd gotten those for snorkeling and then ended up using them above water too. They actually work pretty good!

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to put belongings?

Very good to know!!!!! So sorry to hear about your lost pictures. :(

Tulsa, OK
10 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to put belongings?

Thank you all for your responses and the great website! This eases my mind tremendously.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to put belongings?

These might not be the most imaginative, or safest, ideas, but (knock on wood) they've worked so far: If you're staying in a condo with no safe and, as is often the case, there is a vacuum cleaner in the closet, unzip it and stuff your valuables (in a zip-lock)underneath the bag.

Another tactic, when there are moveable ceiling tiles in the bath, lift one up and place items there (just remember which tile, or you'll be very busy & dusty when it comes time to retrieve).