We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around Without a Car

Madison
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around Without a Car

After renting a car for all my stays on Maui, I would like to try to save some money and travel by taxi or bus for my 3 week + stay in February.

Taxi for trips to Costco and Grocery store and bus to other places. Car rental will cost me around $1,000.00 plus gas, so I should be able to same some money without a car. Any other suggestions would be very helpful and I can review when I get back. Thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,504 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around Without a Car

Taxi's are very expensive on Maui, usually more than a day's worth of car rental. You can get by on the bus but will be limited on where you will be going.

Here's a link to bus info. Found on the County of Maui web-site.

www.mauicounty.gov/index.aspx?NID=605

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,556 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around Without a Car

I am thinking you are just renting from the wrong places.

My father got $21 a day for a Budget car last year from Discount Hawaii Car Rental and I got $19 a day two years ago from name your own price on priceline.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

http://www.priceline.com/

Yes you have to add in taxes, but even still I'd think you can come in well under $600.

It does matter when you are going, both my father and I were after Labor Day, it might be hard in late July/August or Christmas, but other than that, give it a shot.

I do think it would be very difficult to navigate Maui just using buses and taxis. By the time you add the cost of transportation to and from the airport and the cost of three or four cab rides, you are getting into serious bucks.

LA
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Around Without a Car

You've been to Maui so you know what you will be getting into.

You don't mention where you are staying, but Costo taxi runs to Ka'anapali are going to cost about $70 a time.

You will have plenty of time to study the bus schedule.

LA
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Around Without a Car

I'd be inclined to rent a car for the first week, so you can get your basic grocery shopping and errands in, then see how you deal with two weeks carless.

If you were staying in Ka'anapali or Kihei, I can see how being carless wouldn't be a huge problem for that long a time.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,767 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Around Without a Car

Aloha,

It can be done, but requires some planning and organization. The best thing is to rent a car here and there-for those major grocery runs. I know many people who do exactly this, you aren't alone.

Where are you staying? When are you visiting?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Around Without a Car

My plan for a three week stay is as follows:

Rent a car for a day upon arrival at the airport. Swing by Costco and the grocery store to pick up major items. Return the car to the airport the next day and take the bus back to the condo (staying in Kihei). Rent a car maybe once a week for a day but this time rent from the Kihei area to avoid long bus ride from the airport. Take a shuttle to the airport when returning to the mainland.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Around Without a Car

Check into Khei Car rental and AllSave both are locatd near Eskimo Candy.. Enterprise also has an office behind the Post Office in Kihei.

Madison
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Around Without a Car

Thanks for your response. I did find the website for the bus routes and I will be using that to get around mostly I think.

Madison
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting Around Without a Car

Hi and thanks for your response. I usually rent from Alamo at the airport and get a 10% discount for prepay. I am going next month, considered the high season, and the rates have been going up since I started checking last summer. I checked out other sites, like rent a wreck out of Kihei, and that was around 650.00, when I checked in the fall. I'll keep checking, thanks.

Madison
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting Around Without a Car

Hi and thanks for your response. I'm staying in Ma'alaea. I did check out the bus schedule and its really reasonable.