We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

Parma Heights, Ohio
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

We rented a property through Sullivan properties but have had financial setback and want to cancel our reservation since it is a pretty expensive rental. I never signed the agreement they faxed me but the deposit did go through on our credit card. They have a no refund policy but can they hold me to it if I never signed the rental agreement and sent it back to them? They told me to take our trip insurance but that only covers cancellations due to illness or death. We canprobably still go to Maui if I find someplace less expensive to stay.

Wernersville, PA
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

loisagogo,

Sorry to read of the $$$ snag in plans.

I went to Sullivan's website and read this cancellation policy: "No refunds unless we are able to re-book your rental dates. Travel insurance is advised. (A $25.00 fee will be charged if we are able to re-book your rental dates)."

I'm not a lawyer, but assuming you booked On-line, and how they require agreement to these terms before accepting a credit card number, I would guess that they can hold you to it.

Maybe you could call and explain your situation, or they could help identify a more economical alternative?

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

The short answer is, yes, Sullivan can keep your deposit. The right thing to do would be to call Sullivan as soon as possible. If your reservation is several months away, I'm sure they will be much more flexible with a refund. Right now at most you are going to lose your deposit. But, if you don't call them and tell them you are cancelling you could loose more. After a deposit is received from a guest, that guest is usually considered "confirmed". So Sullivan is going to be holding those dates for you until 30 days prior when they are expecting the rest of your money. At that point they are definitely going to keep your deposit and they may even argue that you owe them the full rental. You also risk getting "black balled" which means you could be put on to a "do not rent" list. If you cancel now, Sullivan will have a much better chance of re-renting the unit and giving you your money back. And if the dates you reserved are far enough out, they may even give you a full refund without re-renting the dates. Anyway, my point is call them as soon as you can. The longer you wait the worse of a position you put yourself.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

call them right away. We lost a deposit of 275.00 last year because we had to change our dates and I cancelled 8 months in advance. The owners were able to rent the unit right away and I still lost the money. That hurt!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

this is I think typical when you rent fron an owners agent.... or an owner...

Go with a recognized company like Ouutrigger or Resort Quest.. Expedia, etc... not some scammer.....

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

Here's the deal, I personally do not like the larger companies because they get so many rentals in their units are not always kept up. I would still rather rent from an owner or a small property mgmt company that can assure me a particular unit. It's the chance you take.

Parma Heights, Ohio
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

I did find this rental on VRBO and thought I was working with owner of the unit but then was told that Sullivan represents her property and I had to finish the transaction with the real estate. I guess we'll just bite the bullet and stay there even though it's going to cost more money. It does look like a nice unit. It's not worth losing over $400 to rent somewhere else because in the long run the cost would be the same as if we never cancelled. Thanks anyway.

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

loisagogo:

You should really just give them a call and find out for sure how much it will cost to cancel. It won't hurt to ask and you could be surprised.

A lot of people don't realize that just because you go to VRBO, doesn't mean you will be dealing with the real owner. I have a lot of owners that advertise on VRBO and they all handle things differently. Some take the whole reservation themselves and I, as a property manager, never talk to those guest until they arrive. Some owners only handle people paying with cash or check and send those who want to use credit cards to me. While others forward all the VRBO inquiries on to me and never talk to the guest at all. Some of the listings on VRBO don't involve the owners or mangaers at all. I recently had to call up and bust a Travel Agent who had placed a listing for one of my rental properties on VRBO. So that means that anyone who inquired about that property would be not be talking to an owner, but to an agent who didn't even manage the property. That agent would have had to contact me to make a reservation. That's about as far from renting from an owner as you could hope to be. Fortunately, the real owner of this property already had a listing on VRBO and contacted me about this fraudulent listing. The sad thing is that VRBO has no way to keep this from happening. They do not verify that their listors are the owners of the property. So, since VRBO has definitely taken some business away from property managers, some of them are looking to steal that business back by posing as owners.

Queen Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
235 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

Just another reason to rent through a larger management company like Resortquest or Outrigger. Most cancellation terms with VRBO can be very expensive. Many owners will keep up to a 50% deposit if they cannot re-rent the unit you booked. I know that ResortQuest allows cancellations up to 3 days before arrival with no penalty and 30 days before for the two weeks during the Christmas peak season.

Parma Heights, Ohio
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we cancel with Sullivan?/Didn't sign anything

Don't get me wrong on this one. I did personally speak to the owner who lives on the mainland. She has just purchased this condo and told me she needed someone to manage the property for her on Maui so she picked Sullivan because she had been renting through them at Kapalua for years before she bought the property. The property has been recently remodeled and the price is right for a Bay Villa in August. It's not her fault that I am having second thoughts about renting at $190 since suddenly the costs of the trip to Maui are rising mostly because of the airline fare rising over the past few months. I am going to keep the rental and hope the airfares drop shortly for the summer season. If not, we're going anyway and we will enjoy ourselves and not worry about the money. I read on these forums that some people spend a lot more than we are spending a night just to stay at a 4 star resort which is not our type of accommodation. Thanks for everyone's input. At least I got a great price on a Jeep rental for 10 nights so I can sort of justify the condo rental because I saved money on the car rental. My other option is to call Sullivan and see if they can re-rent the property and it will only cost me a $25.00 cancellation fee but they might not be able to re-rent and then we have to take it. Final payment not due until 60 days before we leave.