We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Visitors From Michigan

Maui
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Most Visitors From Michigan

I am a manager at a 5 star hotel on Maui. It hurts me to say this since I once lived in Michigan for 26 years but it must be said. Myself and my fellow hospitality workers want you to enjoy your vacation here on Maui but you need to leave your attitude at home. Over the last couple of years many visitors from Michigan have come to Maui with an abusive attitude towards the hospitality workers here on Maui. I know many people in upper management capacities throughout Maui who are fed up with your behavior. Why is it that Michigan visitors feel that the Maui people and resorts owe them something? WE OWE YOU NOTHING!! It's not our fault that you live in a depressed state. At our resort, everytime someone complains about something the first thing my staff members ask is, " Are they from Michigan?". More often than not they are. If a resort, restaurant, etc., screws up your reservation or order they will take care of it in a timely manner. Unfortunately, most of the verbal attacks that occur are not justified. If your coming to Maui expecting a discount or to reak havok on the hospitality workers then stay home! We don't want you here! The people of Maui are nice and caring people who are trying to make a living like everyone else. Again, it hurts me to say this but Michigan visitors need to get their act together and soon.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Visitors From Michigan

Troll.

Nothin' happenin' here people.

Move along, move along.

Ken

I KU MAU MAU
Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Visitors From Michigan

For real?????

Hhhmmmmm. Funny cause I've worked in the hospitality industry for quite awhile (Guest Services at a 5 star resort!) and I've found our visitors from Michigan to be among THE NICEST people! Very polite, very easy to talk to and very quick to laugh. I've had many extremely pleasant interactions with Michigan residents. Strange, ha? NOT

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Visitors From Michigan

Ken, I think you are right.

If in fact we (being from Michigan) are the worst people the manager has ever seen then I suspect he is NOT from Michigan but rather a plant from the Buckeye state trying to get in a dig.

I really do not understand the need for the post or the fact he (she) used such a large brush to paint people from the Great Lakes State as being bad.

Since it is NOT a value added post one can only hope TA removes it.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Visitors From Michigan

In defense of my fellow Michiganders.... I think you run into hostile people everywhere. I have lived here my whole life and I would have to say that I have never really noticed a difference in the people here then anywhere else. I have read a post about the attitude of the locals on Maui, I am sure it has more to do with the attitude of the people interacting with each other then anything else and people just get carried away. As for your comment about the "deals", I recently moved to a very heavily populated Dutch area of Michigan and I can tell you that your probably dealing with those people, next time someone asks for a deal and they aren't from Michigan, ask if they are Dutch. The Dutch, in general, are very "thrifty" people.

michigan
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Visitors From Michigan

MauiManager...can I ask which one you work at? I definitely will not patronize your facility and do you a favor!!!

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most Visitors From Michigan

(Sigh)

Listen people.

Think.

Do you really think ANY manager of ANY 5 star hotel would ever post a message like this?

Ever?

Someone who rises to that level of management at such an expensive establishment does so because they are a professional, not some bozo trying to stir up controversy on public message board.

This clown is no more a manager (even of a motel 6) than I'm an astronaut.

Chances are the guys not even old enough to vote.

Let this message die.

Geeze!

Ken

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Visitors From Michigan

Ken- sigh....agreed. Why would anyone yell at people on a forum for yelling at themself?

Bill, how do you know the gender of this "managaer" person? Am I missing something?

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most Visitors From Michigan

Oh my gosh! This makes me laugh!!! If it's not a troll then he best be looking for a new line of work.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most Visitors From Michigan

Hula- my thoughts exactly. If it's not those darn, demanding Michigan people, it's those guru-loving California freaks or those granola-loving Seattle hippies! Shheeeeesh! LOL. Time for a new career.

Genoa, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most Visitors From Michigan

People from Michigan have always been jerks. I think it is because us Ohians, usually always trash their football team, so they think they have to take it out on everyone else.