We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ads for condos

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Ads for condos

Am I the only person who is getting tired of the suddenly ever present condo owners using this site to promote their unit. Maybe it's allowed but today it seems to be overwhelming. Are property taxes due?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ads for condos

Hula my dear, do not let a troll bother you! We love you and know what the truth is.

Shanty- Yep, blatant advertising is getting a little tiring. I had not visited the maui thread in a long time and was shocked by the amount that was going on. It is bothersome.

BB: Once again, you just crack me up! Come on, admit it, you want to be a TA cop? Just remember to memorize the rules and pull them out on a regular basis......"the forum rules state........"

Captain: Hum, it would be nice to see the trolls removed. But, what is to stop them from coming back under another name? Nothing. And I will admit, if 5 was the limit, I would be gone. But only because a certain troll did not like my sarcastic wit and complained all day and all night. I think I can site some of the rules in my sleep:)

Now, back to the regularly scheduled "on-topic" chat!

Does anyone know if property taxes on Maui are due soon? That would be a neat correlation.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ads for condos

Actually, I've been involved with forum sysop work in the past and there are certainly ways to limit one's access even if under another name (e.g., IP Address tracking). While not perfect with the current way TA has things setup, something like this provides a nice deterrent from usage by an bad individual at his home/work location.

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Ads for condos

Ok, 1st off: Property Taxes are due in February and August, so yeah that could explain the increase in self promotion.

2nd: I am a property manager. There is definitely a thin line that I have to walk when I post here.

On the one hand, I really like being able to share my knowledge with folks traveling to Maui. I feel I have a unique perspective and that I can help answer a lot of questions that people have about renting through a PM. A lot of people don't realize that renting a hotel room and renting a condo can be 2 very different experiences. And I was also born and raised in Kihei, so I know the area pretty well. Any info I can get out to future guests will only make my job a little easier.

On the other hand, I have to remember that more than anyone else posting here, my opinions are going to be suspect. Am I just trying to drive more business my way? That's why I never give out my business name or contact info unless someone asks me first (expect for 1 time when someone was looking for specific dates in Feb., couldn't find anything, and I had availability, so I just posted my email and told them to get in touch with me, I think). I try very hard to build up some kind of credibility, by giving honest answers and not throwing my name out there every chance I get.

Now, I admit that I do hope to get some business from these forums. That whale next to my name is my company logo. So, if anyone on these forums was to find my website, they would know that it belongs to HumpbackHelper and maybe based on my honest posting they will feel more comfortable booking with me. But, I do strongly feel that anyone who is on this forum just to promote themselves should not be allowed to post. There is a link on every post to report these people and I suggest that you do so.

3rd: I read a lot of very broad generalizations about Owner rentals and PM rentals. It's is important to remember that every owner and company is different. There are some truly great owners out there that really take care of their bookings and there are others who could care less if you enjoyed your rental. The exact same goes for property managers. I can promise you that not all managers are the same. My favorite thing about TripAdvisor is that you can find information about specific properties here. When someone says, "Hey, I just stayed and this place and it was awesome, I totally recommend it," or "Wow, this place was a real disappointment," I think they are providing the best info on these boards.

Geez, another mile long post...sorry, but I get worked up by the end of my day and I have a lot to say :) But, I would love to know what you folks think about having "professionals" post on this site. Do you think we are all dirty? Or do we provide good information for you?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ads for condos

HumbackHelper: WELL STATED!! I couldn't agree more and I, for one, appreciate your honesty and your insights. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

-Dennis-

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ads for condos

Humpback helper, I never have found you to be intrusive what so ever. Your posting is always considerate and helpful. You are not pushy in anyway. Great post above.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ads for condos

Humpback, No, no not you. There was some one who suddenly showed up on every post for a condo in Kihei saying they had one and giving all the details. Apparently they have disappeared, thank heavens.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ads for condos

Probably timeshare sales people. They tend to lurk around here at times.