We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ads for condos

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Ads for condos

Am I the only person who is getting tired of the suddenly ever present condo owners using this site to promote their unit. Maybe it's allowed but today it seems to be overwhelming. Are property taxes due?

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ads for condos

As an owner of a unit who does NOT try to rent their unit on this site I can tell you this.

Knowing owners of units can be very useful and save you a lot of money, this is a great resource for people who travel to the island. I personally love to find owners who rent their units and have rented from people who do not rent on the usual websites such as VRBO.

Property mgmt companie rates are a lot higher with a lot less personal touches. Nicer towels, nicer furnishings, and a lot of extras in the units.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ads for condos

OK, just read a couple of threads and now know what you mean. I do not care for property mgmt companies who advertise here or timeshare salespeople, so if that's who you were referring to I completely agree!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ads for condos

Hula40, since you "do not care for property mgmt companies who advertise here or timeshare salespeople" it appears that you feel it is OK for condo owners to advertise. Not only did you advertise (by posting that you have a condo for rent), but you also criticized your competition.

From Trip Advisor's Forum Guidelines:

"No self-promoting advertising or solicitation postings of any kind. It’s fine to share places you’ve been with other people, but this is not a space for you to tout your business or the business of a friend or relative. And while we’re on this subject, it’s not a space for you to bad-mouth your competitors, either. Neither of these things is fair or remotely professional."

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ads for condos

as a general ruel renting from an owner direct is because the owner is cheaping out on paying a managment fee, and trying to max out his profit.

Things are done under the radar, the owner not paying taxes, Not doing any maintance, and trying to bleed the turnup for what ever he can get. Cash payments, no guarantee as they have your money..... Wile some are good many are an extention of their owners greed,,,, They offer cheap prices and that is it..... cleaning deposit, Maid, AC, trash, utilities, parking are all extras in many cases. If you get to the unit and it is a dump.... what recourse do you have... none... get a refund on a check processed a month before....HA!!!!!!..... Who you going to complain to a po box and a phone....

These boys write glowing reports and paper the net with their BS.

Professional managers maintain honesty, maintance, pay taxes, clean units, provide tons of extras and respond to problems in real time.. Credit card deposits, change of unit id not satisfactory, guarantees of satisfaction.......inspect units weekly to demanding standards of decor and safety and security from safes to security personnel.

Yo get what you pay for and deserve .

5. Re: Ads for condos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:30 am, March 06, 2006
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ads for condos

Bud -- how ironic for you to be policing this forum when you yourself probably have had more posts removed than everyone else combined. I don’t think Hula40 or HawaiiDan did anything seriously over the line other than express their opinions. I have no problem with Hula40 stating she’s a condo owner and rents out her place – she hasn’t directly promoted her place and her insight on the condo business is beneficial to those of us who do like to stay in condos when we visit. And she is quite active here in things other than just condos. I don’t know that I agree with Hawaiidan’s viewpoint, but it certainly doesn’t merit the kind of “personal” attack you gave him, which to me is a far more serious violation of the forum guidelines than anything else going on.

Folks are probably saying, “great, don’t encourage this guy anymore!”. Frankly, I am not writing to Bud, but rather the forum sysops. There are far too many personal attacks going on here and that needs to stop. I think folks can live with the other stuff, but nasty personal stuff turns away new folks who come here for information to help plan a trip of a lifetime. Clearly, removing a post because it violated some forum guideline doesn’t appear to do a whole lot. My recommendation to the sysops going forward is a new policy to permanently remove individuals who have 5 or more violations (e.g., postings removed).

Note to sysops: feel free to remove this post if you deem it has violated any forum guidelines (which would be my first).

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ads for condos

The outright spamming ads by anyone for anything usually get pulled pretty fast from TA. Simply mentioning you are say a condo owner who rents is about as far from spamming as I can imagine. When people start lising email addresses, prices etc then they are over the line.

Of course my opionion means little since I am not a self appointed TA censor.

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ads for condos

Aloha, I agree with the concept that this forum is not for personal gain. If you are selling any of these concepts GET OFF THIS CHAT LINE and back to work

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ads for condos

Bud, I pointed out that I do not advertise my condo for rent. It is ALREADY rented by someone on a LONG TERM LEASE, do you understand???? I am not RENTING it out right now or in the near future.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ads for condos

And I need to also add that I use a property managment company to rent my unit but I do find renting vacation rentals for myself beneficial.