We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

I have been to Hawaii numerous times with my wife but never with my children. Now that my kids are a little older (6 and 4, respectively) and for the most-part well behaved, we have decided to take them on our upcoming trip to Maui in August. We will be staying at the Wailea Four Seasons for 9 days and will most certainly take advantage of the kids club and activities at the resort. We will also be sure to visit the Maui aquarium. However, I would be interested in hearing about any other child-friendly activities that should not be missed while in Maui. Thanks for your help.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

The Ocean Centre is a must. You'll also find some touristy things like a luau or the submarine ride (our boys enjoyed both...other people not so much) but if your kids are like mine were at that age, you'll be making sandcastles and spending a LOT of time at the pool.

If they don't get car sick, head up Haleakela.

Edited: 12:09 am, June 23, 2011
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

So both of your kids can go to the kids program. The older one can be their without a parent but the younger one will need a parent to supervise. Our kids like I'ao Valley and just splashing around in the ocean and building sand creations. Spend a day or two trying different beaches. The one in front of the 4S is a little small but will do the job. I wouldn't try a lot of long drives unless your kids love 3 hour drives of windy roads. If your kiddos are comfortable in the water, they may enjoy a bit of snorkeling. Like Mauifan said beach time and pool time are going to be the kids #1 priority so just relax and enjoy. Ask about the age parameters for the outrigger rides that are done in front of the resort. I think that would be awesome.

Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

You MUST do a search on the Maui Forum -- as there are oodles of posts with great information. Search "kids."

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

My kids are older and I have found the best thing to do is throw our itenerary out the window of the plane on the way out there! (Not literally of course!) You're going to find that there is going to be a day when you have plans and want to do stuff but the kids are exhausted. It's going to be a pool/beach day even though you planned to drive all around Maui. It's in everyone's best interest if you let them rest! LOL! Cranky kids=cranky parents! LOL! Have a few "we could do this" kinda things but building sandcastles on the beach and just relaxing as a family is the BEST! :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
246 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

For us I think it's also dependent on the type of kids you have. My daughter is 7 and super active, so a few hours on the beach and pool are great but she loves exploring.

We are definitely planning the RTH, but plan many stops to explore and see things and not be cooped up in the car just to get somewhere.

We will have something planned every other day, so one day just go with the flow, the next day go explore :)

I will be posting an itinerary over the weekend if you want to look out for it.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

Beach time and Shave ice are good concepts for the kids. Also I'm not sure what you used to do at the beach but just get used to the idea that this vacation will not be alone time but family time and you'll be all set. If they're good swimmers you might introduce them to some light snorkeling and see how they do. It will definitely wear them out faster than sandcastles.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

Post from a few days ago..suggestions for a family with a 5 & 6 yr old.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,887 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

We were there last week at the FS. Our kids are twice the age of your kids. But they had fun at the arcade room. Your kids can enjoy the beach and the outrigger canoe program that the FS has. The kiddie pool is great. I would suggest doing the beach by 11am as the water gets rough after that and the flag goes to red by around noon.

Kihei which is 15 mins away has a great Havaiian Shave ice place on the main street near the ocean.

I would also recommend mauziplines -- they are the best for familes and beginners. I think the parents may get a tad more scared than the kids. we had a 5 year old in our group when we ziplined.

I'm not a big fan of the kids for all seasons here or at any hotel -- if they need to do activities or watch a movie -- why spend $$$ flying and staying at a hotel when you can do that at a local day care. Just my 2 cents

9. Re: Things you MUST do if in Maui with kids...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, October 02, 2012