We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week from Today

Chicago
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
One week from Today

Anyone going to Maui the week of the 12th??

We will be staying at the Sheraton/Maui. First time for both of us!!

Lenexa, KS
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week from Today

We will be arriving the 13th of Feb. and are staying at Napili Bay Condo. We are meeting my sister and her husband there. This is our first time to Maui and really looking forward to it!

California
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One week from Today

Hi, we're going the 12th through the 16th. Our second visit. Maui is perfect. We just got back from Cabo and that vacation made me appreciate Maui ALL the more. Have Fun!

Chicago
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week from Today

We have a lot of Wonderful suggestions from this forum but plan on keeping it low-key for our first visit. The only thing that is a must is snorkeling. Should we just stay at the beach by the Sheraton or venture out on a boat?

Maui
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week from Today

Blackrock has fantastic snorkeling. Boat rides out to the crater are fun, and you may see whales on the way. I went with Trilogy and it was top rate. I think the crater is a bit overrated, but the clarity out there is great.

Chicago
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One week from Today

Thank you for responding. When you say "Blackrock" is there a group I should join with or do we go out on our own?

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One week from Today

blackrock is literally right in front of your hotel. Its one of the best snorkeling sites in west maui. Trust me, you cant miss it. Just walk out of your hotel, pass the pool and follow the herd. As the name implies, there will be a big black cliff/rock formation on the right (really, you cant miss it). just hop in the beach and enjoy!! Its probably the best thing the Sheraton has to offer (i dont mean that in a bad way as the hotel is very nice).

Molokini is overrated and expensive (companies usually charge $80-$100), but it might be something you do just to say you did it.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One week from Today

and to answer you question--you just go one your own since its right off the beach.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One week from Today

Snorkllady (and anyone else)- have you been to Fish Bowl? Is that part of La Perouse? We will be staying in Lahaina for half our trip and were thinking about spending one day snorkeling in the south area and another day in the north. Have never gone snorkeling and will be there the end of April.

Also considering a whale trip and/or Maui ocean center.

Chicago
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One week from Today

Thanks for the info. I booked Molokini about an hour ago??? I think I will cancel that and do the sunset dinner cruise instead and snorkel right outside the hotel. Thank you for helping me! I appreciate all your responses...

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One week from Today

herbagirl--

i think i went to fishbowl the last time i was there. The area around la perouse doesnt have any obvious markers so its harder to follow that maui revealed book.

la perouse requires you to find the start of a trail (which is not very obvious, but not very hard to find). You then have to walk on lava rock for about .5 miles. The distance depends on where you choose to snorkely. First rule, WEAR SHOES! we had flip flops. bad mistake. The trail you're on is not easy to traverse. lots of climbing and at points the trail disappears. You basically just keep hiking until you find a cove you like and since they all look the same, im not sure if we hit fish bowl or not.

Its definitely a lot of work. Was it worth it? not sure. didnt really think it was better or worse than anywhere else.