We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Sand Beach and La Perouse Bay

San Francisco
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Black Sand Beach and La Perouse Bay

Can anyone please tell me how to get to the black sand beach north of Makenna.(not the one near Hana).Also wanted to go snorkeling @ La Perouse Bay or The Aquarium, but have no idea how to get there or where to park? Going to maui in May and wanted to see those beaches/bays. Any info will greatly help..Thanks

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Sand Beach and La Perouse Bay

Maui Revealed, the guidebook, will give you good directions. Got us there on our tour of Kihei and Wailea beaches. Actually we just kept driving down the roads that looked like they went to the beach. If you have time and are not to "driven to do it all perfectly"and make sure you are not trespassing, it's fun.

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Sand Beach and La Perouse Bay

If you drive past wailea, past big beach(makena beach), keep going... the road will narrow and you'll think you must have past it, but you haven't! I'm not sure what the "aquarium" is... I think you are referring to the Ahihi preserve... If I'm right, then you will come to that before La Perouse. You will come to a beautiful little bay, with lots of cars parked all higgilty-piggilty at the sides of the road, and be blown away by the beauty of this little bay! This is a great snorkel spot, but make sure you get there early, before about 10:00 am, as the water gets kinda choppy after that... as well as it does get busier as the morning go on... we usually try to get there by 8:30 at the latest. If you carry on down the same road, you will come to a lava field with a very narrow road cut through it, this is La Perouse, so gorgeous! Your best bet, to make sure you don't trespass, and that your actually in the right area, is to zip into Boss Frog's dive shop, or any dive/snorkel shop in Kihei and ask them for a map, they are usually happy to help, and can also give info. on snorkeling conditions that day. Have fun!