We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Molokai

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Molokai

we spent 2 days in molokai on our last Hawaiian trip. Since we saw all the scenery in one day, and since the lodging and food were way poor (especially by Maui standards) and since there was no opportunity to play golf or go in the ocean, it occurred to me to suggest going to Molokai as a day trip. Sure there's the ferry, but that eats a large portion of the day. But there are enough flights early and late that you could arrange it as a quick expensive day trip. Island Air flies from OGG with their 30+ passenger planes, and Mokulele flies from the OGG commuter terminal with their 9 passenger Cessnas. There's an Alamo rental office at the airport. Drive all around and be home in Maui in time for a decent dinner, something you won't get in molokai.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Molokai

Yes dhauk therein lies the "charm". You're info is spot on for a day trip. Did that...only 6 hours; of course I saw it all. But ya know, that on poor Moloka'i, you won't find fine dining, golf courses, red lights, or people that will run not over you in the street in town. Here's what I did and what I suggest. Do take one of those early morning flight to Moloka'i, followed by a day of sight seeing...and since there's not enough for two days...then followed by a single night stay at one of the limited 3.5 star hotels; and quickly back on the plane to the bright lights and glitter of Maui. After all that's where "the action is". You see, Moloka'i won't mind! :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Molokai

IMOO You seem to be missing the point/charm of Molokai. It is not a hurry up/fine dining place But I will never forget it. No interest in Kalaupapa??

Boston
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Molokai

I agree, Molokai is not for everyone. If a person is looking for glitz, gormet dining, gucci and prada you will not find it on Molokai. On the other hand, there's no traffic to speak of, no "toot toot of the angry horn",big box stores, but there are friendly smiles, and true aloha......not the "for only tourist" kind that is just looking for a hefty tip.

I had a wonderful "Molokai experience" the other day when we pulled into the parking lot of a little store downtown. There was a little local girl (these children are so beautiful btw) sitting with her Mom in their car next to us. The little sweetheart popped her head up, smiled, and said "Hi Aunty". That act touched my heart and warmed my soul for the whole day. A cherished moment that I will never forget.

As I said, Molokai is for some and not for others and I respect your opinion, but I have met several tourists that have come here and not wanted to leave. Once Molokai gets into your blood and touches your heart, you know that you have found true paradise. :)

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Molokai

I think I get where the OP is coming from, although I don't think 2 days are too long for most that have been to Hawaii on multiple trips. On a day trip to Moloka'i, we met a family of 4 from Ohio on a beach around mile marker 22 (?). They were not having the best time for many of the reasons noted above. The wife's boss highly recommended Moloka'i for this family's first ever trip to Hawaii. I was dumbfounded and wished they were somewhere on Maui. I didn't even try to tell them what they were missing. But I did manage to introduce the boys to some locals girls on the beach.

Think How I Met Your Mother: Have you met my friend.........

Boston
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Molokai

I understand what you're saying Patrick. First ever trip to Hawaii.....Molokai?

Over the years, we've done all of the other islands and got shopping, luas, and tourists trips under our belts and then we tried Molokai. We had our fill of the other interests and are just satisfied to sit back and relax in the peaceful quietness of Molokai. I would not suggest coming to Molokai for your first ever trip. You've got to try the other islands first.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to Molokai

Molokai was the second island we visited on our first trip back in 1983 i knew that there was "something about it" then, couldn't quite understand what it is i liked. some 17 years and many hawaii trips later i started to understand what that was: the real Hawaii! it's the people. here i feel "safe" and i don't need to look over my shoulders or hang on tightly to my handbag. here i can smile and say hello without being looked at with suspicion. there is no more reason fo rme to travel,... well, except to shop on Maui occasionally. i guess i just got a bad attitude!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to Molokai

my point in writing this note was not to DIScourage people from visiting Molokai but rather to ENcourage them, because logistically it's not that difficult, if you just want to drive around and see the sights. Something else to do while you're staying on Maui. Personally I was also charmed by the pace ofthe place and its beauty and its people, but longer term it's not for me. I need to be in that ocean, not stuck on land just gazing wistfully at it. I need to be active. I need to see whales. I need to dine well. We had perfect full sun views of Kaluapapa, but apparently muling or hiking down is not an option currently.

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip to Molokai

dhauk, I think Island Air's only flights over are late and they come back early (meaning you spend 2 nights there). Have you ever flown Mokulele? I only ask because I am interested in doing this this summer but am apprehensive about a 9 passenger Cessna. ( Also looking into Pacific Wings.)

Edited: 2:55 pm, March 07, 2011
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
555 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip to Molokai

how is this island compared to Lana'i?

We spent 3 nights at the FS Koele and days hanging out at FS Manele Bay.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip to Molokai

Tex you may be right about Island Air's schedule. They have a large schedule on the wall in the Molokai airport suggesting lots of flights early and late, but I don't find very many on their web site. We have flown Mokulele a total of three times. All flights have had every seat occupied, all left on time, ands all flew low enough to be very scenic. They depart OGG out of the commuter terminal behind where the rental car buses depart. They arrive at Kona (incase you care) at the remote commuter terminal, not the main terminal. They charge $10 for any bag weighing more than 20#. Mokuele is part of GO!/Mesa air, and I'm nervous about their financial condition, but so far they perform their schedule. Like Island Air, they seem to operate reliably. I've seen Pacific Wings Cessnas around but never flying. Never any people working at booth or plane. They also fly the Cessna Caravan. Both Island and Mokulele offer substantial discounts for early purchase.