We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

kildare
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

HI - Will be going to Hawaii on next january 2007. My partner was expressed an interest in cruising the islands. Has anyone done this and if so what is it like???

West Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

Hey Jordo,

We too will be going in Jan. of '07 and have wondered the same thing!! I want to see as much as we can but am not sure which way to go....Hope someone can give us some info. on here!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
494 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

If you do a search you'll find lots of posts on the pros and cons of cruising.

We went to Hawaii for the first time last Aug. We got to Honolulu two days before a 10-day cruise on NCL Wind, and stayed in Oahu two more days after. It was a great way to see the highlights of all the islands, without lots of packing/going-thru-security/flying/unpacking.

We really enjoyed our trip. We also read some negative comments about cruising, but then some people expect a lot. We saw one old man yelling at cabin steward that their wife's luggage did not arrive right away and she needed the medicine in the luggage.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

I personally think the best way to experience Hawaii for the first time is to stay on the island itself and explore and relax at your own pace. Granted, you do get to tour the islands during the day when you do the cruise, but I think the best experience is to stay in a hotel or condo (regardless of it being first-class, five-star, or basic) and explore things on a less hectic schedule. This is just my preference though. Since I've been to Hawaii several times already, I might consider the cruise option some day. I'm glad I stayed on the islands before doing it via a cruise though.

West Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

Thanks for your advice. My question though is ....we want to see as much as we can while we are there and I'm not sure how you do that with there being different islands. Can you give me some ideas on this???

Thanks so much,

Jamie

kildare
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

Might see you wandering lost around the islands jamie - i will be the burnt girl in the grass skirt sipping an exotic alcoholic beverage. appreciate the replies - does anybody know anything about the facilities on the boat... any preferance with rooms and such???

Hercules, California
Level Contributor
283 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

Get a room with a balcony, if for no other reason than to watch the lava flow from Kilauea. Depending on the direction of the cruise, request the island side for the view.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

Check out Cruisecritic.com for advise. Some say it can be really bad, others say great.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

a cruise will save you hundreds in interisland fare, food and hassel.

If it is your first time here.. you will get to see all the best places and do so without spending half your time at rental car and airports.....It is the best possible way to visit

There are also Holland Anerica cruises of 15 days that go fron LA and san Diego too... They are 4.5 star. cost about 1800 @

I have cruised for 20 years.....and from NCL to Radisson When I go on NCL I manage my money as there are hundreds of ways to get oour of control.

The people who have a bad experience on NCL are the ones who expect this 3.5 star ship to be like a 6 star.

It is very nice..like a good Best Western Courtyard with nice but not outstanding food.

If you dont expect the Ritz Carlton yoou will love it. If not your dreams will be in ruin.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wondering if a Cruise around Hawaii is a good idea???

as to cabin......get the cheapest... what you get for the additional money is not worth it on NCL....what you wiill pay for a NCL balcony is more than a 6 star ships balcony !

You will have all the same food and entertainment without reguard for your cabin.

For the 1 hour you cruise the lava.... sit in the bar and watch or on deck. The money you save will be great and you can put your attention to shore fun.....

Check out cruise discounts with" Vacations to go"...... 7 day NCL about 700 to 800.