We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking West Maui Mountains

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
22 helpful votes
Hiking West Maui Mountains

I've checked out some hiking guides but none of them show exactly where they go. I'd like to either hike into the West Maui mountains from the east, such as up the Iao Valley for quite aways or try to get near the crest of the ridge from the west. Are there public trails that allow such access or do these hiking guides go there?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
1. Re: Hiking West Maui Mountains

trails.com mentions some hikes in the Iao area. The Lahaina Pali trail has tremendous views.

www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=10037

Edited: 8:18 am, January 31, 2011
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
45 reviews
135 helpful votes
2. Re: Hiking West Maui Mountains

Bamboo_Screen, Which hiking guides are you using? We're interested in doing day hikes (in May), and I was planning to purchase a book or two, but wanted to get something that would be fairly detailed.

Wondered if anyone has any feedback on these books:

Day Hikes on Maui, by Robert Stone (it looks like the most recent edition is 10 years old.)

amazon.com/Day-Hikes-Maui-Robert-Stone/dp/15…

Best Easy Day Hikes Maui, by Suzanne Swedo

amazon.com/Best-Easy-Day-Hikes-Hawaii/…

This one is just being released tomorrow & looks interesting:

Top Trails: Maui: Must-Do Hikes for Everyone, by Sara Benson

www.wildernesspress.com/authors.php…

Susan

Edited: 11:31 am, January 31, 2011
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: Hiking West Maui Mountains

If you do a search you'll find various guide services, none of them giving exact itineraries. All of the guide books I've seen so far have pretty much the same limited number of hikes listed.

On a map it looks like there are several valleys connecting the Lahaina side with the Iao side. Is it possible to hike these valleys/ridges? Is public access allowed? Would they be enjoyable hikes? Also, is it possible to get up on the high ridges? Thanks for your help.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
54,000 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Hiking West Maui Mountains

Here is a link to Na Ala Hele, the state of Hawaii's trail system. As far as I know, these are the only trails you can hike on that go into the west Maui mountains.

hawaiitrails.ehawaii.gov/island.php…

Edited: 12:31 pm, January 31, 2011
Maui
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Hiking West Maui Mountains

Check out the topo maps at this site:

soest.hawaii.edu/coasts/data/maui/drg.html . You can see that there is no way you can hike from Iao Valley (or any other valley on the Wailuku side) through to Lahaina. The ridge is so steep it would be more like mountain climbing than hiking. When you get to Iao Valley, you can see the steepness of the ridge on the left side. You can hike up the Iao Stream for about a mile or so - it's very easy and scenic. But there's no way to get across. The Lahaina Pali trail is really the only hike over the ridge.

Edited: 9:45 pm, January 31, 2011
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
9 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Hiking West Maui Mountains

The Kapalua Trail system offers a couple of ridgeline trails in West Maui. Here is a link with maps... http://www.kapalua.com/index.php/hiking

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
22 helpful votes
7. Re: Hiking West Maui Mountains

Thanks BillRees for that good map source. It does look very steep between the two sides. I guess that's why you shouldn't plan hikes by looking at Google Earth.

Maui
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Hiking West Maui Mountains

You are welcome! Since topo maps can sometimes be way out of date when it comes to showing the boundaries of civilization, using a combination of Google Earth and a topo map may be just the thing to get an accurate, current picture of the lay of the land, so to speak.

9. Re: Hiking West Maui Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, October 16, 2012